Bilstein 5100's gave me a lift on LOWEST clip setting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pimpin Frog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Heyyoooo,
Can't tell you guys enough how much I've lurked on this site for answers to my builds. I'm new here (I feel like everyone says that) as if my post count doesn't tell you that. Anyways...I have a little bit of a problem with the shocks I installed on my 07 LTZ Tahoe.
She came with autoride suspension on her and I disconnected the compressor, kept ALL coil springs, strut mounts and etc. I removed the autoride shocks on all 4 corners and replaced them with Bilstein 5100's---front shocks are part number BSN-24-186940, rears are part number BSN-24-187237. The front were installed and put back together correctly. The first thing I checked was to make sure that I didn't put the lower spring seat/cup on upside down, and I did not. The front is now level with the rear at that lowest spring clip setting since the fronts are ride height adjustable. Any thoughts? Bilstein even says thats supposed to keep the factory raked stance. Do I need to change the coils? Are they different on the autoride than a standard gas shock?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

--Ribbit--

---------- Post added at 09:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 AM ----------

Would it be a constant rate coil spring vs a variable rate spring upfront (What came with the autoride suspension in 07)? Is that different than what a regular gas shock/strut assembly would have. I'm tempted to pick up the cheapest OEM front struts and take the coil spring, strut mount and hardware and place it onto my vehicle.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bilstein 5100's on their lowest setting should give you a small lift. They certainly do lift .75" @ their lowest setting on my Jeep.

Additionally it will almost definitely settle a bit and end up being a bit lower after you drive it around.

OP
OP
Pimpin Frog

Pimpin Frog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I can not for the LIFE OF ME find out the difference in spring rates from a standard Tahoe vs an Autoride Tahoe. I'm thinking I bite the bullet and first try just different coil springs.

---------- Post added at 10:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 AM ----------

bilstein 5100's on their lowest setting should give you a small lift. They certainly do lift .75" @ their lowest setting on my Jeep.

Additionally it will almost definitely settle a bit and end up being a bit lower after you drive it around.

It's been a year or so since installation. I'm installing a readylift kit front and rear for larger tires and want to have a stock raked, non autoride suspension before install. Last thing I want is the front end riding higher than the rear.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can not for the LIFE OF ME find out the difference in spring rates from a standard Tahoe vs an Autoride Tahoe. I'm thinking I bite the bullet and first try just different coil springs.

---------- Post added at 10:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 AM ----------

It's been a year or so since installation. I'm installing a readylift kit front and rear for larger tires and want to have a stock raked, non autoride suspension before install. Last thing I want is the front end riding higher than the rear.
The lowest setting on the bilstein 5100s is higher than on a stock shock. Its designed that way. Your springs are not the cause. If you wanted stock ride height that's what's the bilstein 4600hds are for.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Pimpin Frog

Pimpin Frog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The lowest setting on the bilstein 5100s is higher than on a stock shock. Its designed that way. Your springs are not the cause. If you wanted stock ride height that's what's the bilstein 4600hds are for.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Thanks Autumn Wind. I had to see that on a nissan titan forum just now as well. I just called bilstein back and they "guarantee" the lowest setting is a 0" addition on the 5100's. Garbage...thanks though!

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Autumn Wind. I had to see that on a nissan titan forum just now as well. I just called bilstein back and they "guarantee" the lowest setting is a 0" addition on the 5100's. Garbage...thanks though!

Interesting. :wtf:
Maybe they are right.

On the bilstein online catalog it does say

Part Number: 24-186940
Series: 5100 Series (Ride Height Adjustable)
Position: Front
Descriptor: Excludes Air Leveling Suspension
Descriptor: Excludes Z55 Autoride Suspension Package
Descriptor: Front Lifted Height: 0-1.75"
Quantity Per Vehicle: 2

*Collapsed Length (IN): 12.95
*Extended Length (IN): 18.48
*Collapsed Length (MM): 329
*Extended Length (MM): 469.3
Finish: Zinc Plated
Reservoir: No
Body Design: 46mm ID Snap Ring Grooved Body (Coilover)

whereas the model number on my jeep says:

Series: 5100 Series (Ride Height Adjustable)
Position: Front
Descriptor: Front Lifted Height: .75-2"
Quantity Per Vehicle: 2

*Collapsed Length (IN): 13.35
*Extended Length (IN): 19.20
*Collapsed Length (MM): 339.0
*Extended Length (MM): 487.7
Finish: Zinc Plated

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pimpin Frog

Pimpin Frog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What is the difference in spring rates from a standard Tahoe vs an Autoride Tahoe.
2007-2014 LT or LS models
vs....
2007-2014 LTZ Autoride suspension

Spring heights, compression rate, size any different?

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the difference in spring rates from a standard Tahoe vs an Autoride Tahoe.
2007-2014 LT or LS models
vs....
2007-2014 LTZ Autoride suspension

Spring heights, compression rate, size any different?

Can't believe I overlooked this: The front probably isn't higher, I'll bet the rear is lower.

Did you measure before and after front and rear? The rear springs are softer in the NBS rigs because it is supported by the airbags. Most guys get the z71 rear coils to compensate for that. I left the stock ones since I like the stance a bit more level, and do not regularly tow with this vehicle.

What is your current measurements? Axle to fender lip.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pimpin Frog

Pimpin Frog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Can't believe I overlooked this: The front probably isn't higher, I'll bet the rear is lower.

Did you measure before and after front and rear? The rear springs are softer in the NBS rigs because it is supported by the airbags. Most guys get the z71 rear coils to compensate for that. I left the stock ones since I like the stance a bit more level, and do not regularly tow with this vehicle.

What is your current measurements? Axle to fender lip.

AutumnWind. I'll check that later tonight. But yesterday I did measure a stock ltz front strut length from bottom bolts to bottom of lower spring seat and my setup on mine is almost 3/4" longer than the stock autoride setups of 07-14 tahoes.

The only reason for all of this non-sense is because I am going to fully extend my front struts to the so called 1.78" ride height adjustment and then install a 1.5" coil spacer in the rear. The last thing I want to do is raise my fronts all the way and then have to disassemble my strut assembly to move the seat down if there is too large of a rake in one direction on my stance. Thanks for the responses and interest...:roflbow:

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AutumnWind. I'll check that later tonight. But yesterday I did measure a stock ltz front strut length from bottom bolts to bottom of lower spring seat and my setup on mine is almost 3/4" longer than the stock autoride setups of 07-14 tahoes.

The only reason for all of this non-sense is because I am going to fully extend my front struts to the so called 1.78" ride height adjustment and then install a 1.5" coil spacer in the rear. The last thing I want to do is raise my fronts all the way and then have to disassemble my strut assembly to move the seat down if there is too large of a rake in one direction on my stance. Thanks for the responses and interest...:roflbow:

You could Get a 2" rear spacer, which is much easier to swap out then to adjust the front again.

They do make the 5100 shock longer to give you a big more droop when you have the lift adjustment maxed out. But if it is .75" longer from bolt to lower spring seat then I would assume it gives you .75" greater static ride height @ it's lowest setting. I'll bet the settings are: .75"/1.25"/1.75"

On my Jeep they are .75"/1.5"/2"

Either way, the max height should be 1.75" increase over your stock height, so 1.5" rear spacer should leave you with a slight nose down rake. Which IMHO is perfect.

Happy to help at all if i can. I am messing around with exactly the same setup you are, only on my other vehicle. Toying with the idea of selling off my rear spacer and going with 2" lift springs instead, which a higher spring rate. Preload from the 5100's on the front factory springs make them feel stiffer, so a stiffer rear might be a better match for me. On my other vehicle it came without a tow package so it has the softest rear springs available from the factory. Anywho... GL ! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz

Latest posts