Bilstein 5100 highest lift perch VS lift pucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right now I have Bilstein 5100s set at the “factory” level paired with Moog 81244 springs and lift pucks.

I am wondering what difference it would make if I removed the lift puck and set the Bilstein prong perch to the highest lift setting? Would it better to achieve my lift with the strut lift or just stick to the lift puck?

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Right now I have Bilstein 5100s set at the “factory” level paired with Moog 81244 springs and lift pucks.

I am wondering what difference it would make if I removed the lift puck and set the Bilstein prong perch to the highest lift setting? Would it better to achieve my lift with the strut lift or just stick to the lift puck?
My bilstein lift struts (5150s) I believe basically an adjustable 5100 shock and they rode like garbage imo I switched back to Monroe’s with a leveling kit within a week or two type way.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
I’d keep the puck and not set the shock on the highest setting because it might make it ride rougher

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^this^^^ (originally blackelky's post)

Perch adjustment will preload the spring.
You would also have less droop.

For whatever reason, my truck rode better (than stock) after I installed leveling spacers. Not sure if I was hitting bumptstops or what...

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had the 5100s for a while now, only complaint is that my control arm setup does not allow the strut to fully extend and the upper ball joint is the limiting factor here. After the feedback here I will just keep things as they are for a few more years and then reevaluate the setup.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had the 5100s for a while now, only complaint is that my control arm setup does not allow the strut to fully extend and the upper ball joint is the limiting factor here. After the feedback here I will just keep things as they are for a few more years and then reevaluate the setup.
You don't find them uncomfortable over bumps and rough roads?

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Marky Dissod I wouldn't say they are comfortable because they are off road shocks, they are designed for performance not comfort.

Backstory: When I first bought my Tahoe it had a clapped out lowering kit on it and it bottomed out all the time and was a genuinely terrible ride. After that I decided to build a suspension that would be heavy duty and handle anything I drive through and so in that regard I am very pleased with the quality of the ride.

If someone was looking for a comfortable ride I agree I certainly wouldn't recommend the 5100s.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Dustin Jackson
What if that someone's three previous vehicles were Chevy Caprice 9C1s?
What if that same someone put Caprice 9C1 suspension parts on his Cadillac Fleetwood?
What if he also thought that his former 2012 Yukon XL handled ok-ish, but was still a wee lil bit too soft?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmatson