Best Year Tahoe/Yukon?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PwtrSS_OakCliff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 03 Yukon fully loaded with everything. What I like is the interior change from the 00-02 year model. I can also put a double din radio in my 03 as you cannot do this with the 00-02 model. I would stay away from autoride suspension because its expensive to fix or replace. Shocks for those last time I checked were $168 a piece at O'riely's. I daily drive mine has a 5.3L so I get pretty good gas mileage as I drive 70%highway and 30%city on my commute to work. The only things I had to replace on my truck since I bought it at 104k was the alternator, but that was ONLY because I forgot to put a fuse on the amplifier and the positive amp wire touched the ground for a second and sparked. It now has 138k miles and I only had it for a year and two months now. I do a lot of towing and driving. I tow a 2.5k trailer with a 4k truck with no problem going out of state. The only defects that I know with my truck and a lot of guys on here is the needles on the cluster. My speedometer, gas, and oil gauge needles don't work. But I use my GPS for speed and DIC (Driver Information Center) for gas mileage left. Overall the NBS is a great truck. I got mine from the dealership for 10,995 financed through wells fargo. It came fully loaded with bose, leather, sunroof, entertainment system, tv, heated seats, memory seats, integrated turn signals on mirrors, power fold mirrors, new tires, rear ac heat, towing package, free oil changes, and a FULL tank of gas LOL. haha. (it was almost empty when I test drove it). Right now I owe about low 7kish. Put paying cash will always be cheaper. By the way I get about 20mpg on the highway when im coasting at 60mph. At 80mph im at 10mpg. Great trucks, motors. No tranny issues at all. Fuel pump still working good. Good luck with your purchase and we hope to see your new ride when you do buy it. Post up pics..

Antonio

magicbus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have time to read this entire thread so I apologize beforehand for regurgitating any info. I currently have a 2005 Yukon XL and my wife has a 2002 Yukon. Both trucks are great and dependable. The 02 just got it's first rebuilt trans this year because it has been parked on an incline without using the parking brake for several years, shell failed. I just bought the 05 this year and I had to replace the stepper motors and factory 6 disc which are notorious for locking up (I installed car stereo for 10 years and have seen countless trucks with 6-disc problems, not just GMs either). I personally tried to stay away from the 03 and 04 years since this was their first two years to go to databus in these vehicles. My mom's 03 had many many recalls due to electrical issues. Between me and my direct family we have owned 9 99-06 GM fullsize vehicles, 5 of them being mine and one being my wife's. Let bad stepper motors and burnt bulbs be a haggling point on your purchase because they are very simple to replace. It took me longer to remove my cluster than it did to replace all motors in it. I was able to purchase my fully loaded (minus nav) XL for 10k instead of their 13k asking price due to these problems and a few little nickel and dime parts missing due to children (they destroy a lot). With about $200 I turned a fair condition truck into a good condition truck (12.5K blue book to 14.5k blue book).

SnowBuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anything pre-07...that's when they changed from steel & glass to plastic & plastique! LOL I just prefer the squarer frontend of an 05.

TriBeard

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Again with the transmission dip stick, you want a nice red colour and like everyone it should not smell burnt or be browning in colour.

I think the best bang for your buck would be an LT model in your price range. I think you will pay more the Z71 and your off road/performance gains would be minimal, does look nice though. With the Denali you are moving up to a 6 litre engine and increase fuel costs come stock. Regardless both trucks look awesome!

Your going to have repairs, expect it. Find something with as little rust as possible. Rust is just plain ugly on any vehicle.

With an LT or Z71 or Denali you can get 2nd row buckets which are nice. A split 50/50 removable third row is available in 2003...That could be something to consider for sure!

You can get the third row in any of the nbs trucks. Mine is a 2000 nbs ls model and it has it.

Jewel or Jalopy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen any huge issues with one year over the other. 03-06 have updated dashboards, electrical, and turn signals in the mirrors. 04-06 have a tad more power.

But I would just try to find the best one you can in your price range. Look at a few 00-02 and a few 03-06 and decide which you want. We got a great deal by finding one with a small dent on the door, and a seller eager to unload it (nasty divorce).

I think a basic LS or LT 4WD would be fine for you. We got a Z71 because it was the nicest we found, and while I like the styling better, I would prefer to have the softer suspension of the LT. But I can always swap springs later, and likely will.

A friend also told me that adding an ipod adaptor is easier on the 03-06, which helped sway me. Although I've since found a writeup to tap into the XM radio box, which I plan to do.

Good luck!

PwtrSS_OakCliff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen any huge issues with one year over the other. 03-06 have updated dashboards, electrical, and turn signals in the mirrors. 04-06 have a tad more power.

But I would just try to find the best one you can in your price range. Look at a few 00-02 and a few 03-06 and decide which you want. We got a great deal by finding one with a small dent on the door, and a seller eager to unload it (nasty divorce).

I think a basic LS or LT 4WD would be fine for you. We got a Z71 because it was the nicest we found, and while I like the styling better, I would prefer to have the softer suspension of the LT. But I can always swap springs later, and likely will.

A friend also told me that adding an ipod adaptor is easier on the 03-06, which helped sway me. Although I've since found a writeup to tap into the XM radio box, which I plan to do.

Good luck!

Can you please elaborate on the XM write up :happy160:

stickM

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
e-fans

Someone on another thread also mentioned that the 2005-2006 models come with electric fans that offer improved cooling in summer and slight increases in power/pep. If you want to do this conversion on an earlier model it may save you some expense by choosing one that already has the 34" radiator vs the standard 28". I bought an '03 a few months back that has the 34" core and the 145 amp alternator (tow package upgrades maybe?). The codes for these options are listed on a sticker in the glovebox, so you may want to arm yourself with code info prior to shipping if those upgrades interest you. I just converted mine and think it was worthwhile. I'm a nooby here...so check the info I provided for accuracy.

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get the third row in any of the nbs trucks. Mine is a 2000 nbs ls model and it has it.

Never said you couldn't.

Back on topic for another though.

In terms of fuel efficiency you'd you would best with off with the newest model year I think.... I mean I am not 100% on this but I think that generally speaking every year they improve fuel consumption.

DCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any year with rear barn doors is nice to have. No power option is available for rear lift gate really sucks and the offset rear wiper is ugly. Easy to open/close for the wife and my kids. Which means they don't need my help as I sit on the couch and drink beer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

El Padroni

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Any year with rear barn doors is nice to have. No power option is available for rear lift gate really sucks and the offset rear wiper is ugly. Easy to open/close for the wife and my kids. Which means they don't need my help as I sit on the couch and drink beer.

The barn doors were only available in the 2000 nbs model, right?

Also, how can i detect the autoride suspension?

I'm still waiting to unload my current rig before i jump in, i've been scouting CL for a little while and am seeing a few 05's on sale in my range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomase1269

Latest posts