Best Year Tahoe/Yukon?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
E

El Padroni

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on the tranny/dip stick. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the common checklist on any car.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
I would get a nice 2dr. These things are all american steel tanks and i wouldnt trade mine in for an nbs. Cheap to fix and hard to break

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Ok well then a nice late 90s 4dr z71 will be what you want still all steel but a lil better on gas then my 2dr

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As mentioned before, the tranny is the main thing I'd check. And, of course, the usual stuff along with compression, 4 wheel drive, heat/ac front and back, etc. If you can, have a mechanic check it out. Good luck.

TriBeard

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Something to remember too, is that only the nbs (and nnbs but those are not in consideration here) have the third row seat. I know I cart around a lot of people all the time, and while the third row can be cramped for adults, it does in a pinch and younger people don't seem to mind being back there too much, especially for short trips, so if people carrying is important that's another bonus for nbs, provided that they had the third row option.

as far as interior being nicer on the 03+, the only things that come to mind to me are the nicer stock radio and that fact that it is in a double din opening, giving you more options for expansion later (but by the same token the 03+ need a much more expensive wiring harness than the older ones), as well as slight changes to the gauge clusters appearance. Also, that was the year that the stock subwoofer (if equipped) moved from the back drivers side to the front under the console, so that could be a plus or a minus depending on what you prefer.

I don't know if the older ones had the option for steering wheel mounted controls, but those are nice if you can find them for your budget too.

slipping

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one of each (99 and 04) and I love both. 04 is wife's dd and 99 is mine. She for some reason thinks it a sports car and drives it like one. I have taken it through the mud dirt desert and hills. We take the 04 on all our trips and seats all 3 kids nicely with 2 strollers and even can use one of the 3rd row for grandma. The 99 is my toy and IMO a little easier to work on because it isnt so electronic but both about the same. Both have about 185000 on the meter and still kicking.

alc5m

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think in 05 they made the fuel filter a sealed unit with the fuel pump? correct me if i'm wrong on that someone (just makes things more expensive/difficult)

i would def watch out for the autoride option, expensive to replace the compressor and all that stuff from what i've heard

I have an 03 z71 and love it

my buddy has a 2000 nbs and he loves his, both are all around good trucks, although his is easier to work on due to the electrical, and as far as 03+ needing a way more expensive harness for the radio, thats only if you have bose system, which i do

for me i'd go with the z71 over a nali, as much as i love the denali trucks, i think the z71 will last longer with the stiffer suspension items, the bigger tranny cooler and other options that came with it

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Again with the transmission dip stick, you want a nice red colour and like everyone it should not smell burnt or be browning in colour.

I think the best bang for your buck would be an LT model in your price range. I think you will pay more the Z71 and your off road/performance gains would be minimal, does look nice though. With the Denali you are moving up to a 6 litre engine and increase fuel costs come stock. Regardless both trucks look awesome!

Your going to have repairs, expect it. Find something with as little rust as possible. Rust is just plain ugly on any vehicle.

With an LT or Z71 or Denali you can get 2nd row buckets which are nice. A split 50/50 removable third row is available in 2003...That could be something to consider for sure!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700

Latest posts