Best Year Tahoe/Yukon?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

El Padroni

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,

Potential future Tahoe/Yukon owner here. Is there a specific year that is better than the rest? Or better yet, is there a year i should stay away from due to flaws/issues?

Is the Z71 the better option to go with? I know Denali is more luxury.

I have about $6k-$7k to play with so i know im a bit limited to the 2001-2003/4 models.

TIA!

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OBS for the WIN lol , But in all seriousness The NBS are good trucks as well. it all comes down to what you are interested in doing to them Obviously the OBS models will require a little more TLC nowadays So keep that in mind , Are you in a rush to buy? if not I would save your money a little longer to get a Good NBS Just my .02 cents Again with the z71 or denali comes down to your needs if you plan on going offloading don't get the denali , likewise if you don't go with the z71

OP
OP
E

El Padroni

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here's my noobness coming out, what's OBS, NBS mean?

Im looking for a family travel vehicle that has creature comfort interior bits but, I also would like to give some offroading a try every so often? Is that possible?

Thanks

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OBS = Old Body style 95-99 Like mine in the signature Its the square body type
NBS = New body style 2001-06 the round ones lol for lack of a better term

Sounds like you would be happier with the z71 and yes stock they can handle a good bit of offroading , Its not that the denali can't handle mild trails or anything but they generally have chrome wheels and a ground effects kit nature which can be damaged off road . Is this a second vehicle or going to be your DD?
I ask that because If its your DD I would buy a NBS , Being a newer vehicle you have less chance of having to put more money into getting it to be reliable Not that the OBS is not reliable but most of our trucks are higher mileage

OP
OP
E

El Padroni

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the education. This would be my weekend warrior. My wife has the DD but for long weekend trips I want something both comfortable and capable. I have all intentions to go with a NBS. I've seen a few on CL going for 5k+ so I think I can scoop something up with $7k. I like the Denali but i might stay away from it now for the points you mentioned.

How about flaws with the NBS, anything I should look out for before purchasing? I know in some other cars a certain model year is the year that -------so dont buy it! Anything like that with 2001-2006 model?

Thanks

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats where my education stops lol i couldn't tell you the typical flaws if any that are associated with NBS models Some of the NBS guys should chime in shortly and give you some advice on buying , what to look for and so forth . glad i could be of some help and good luck on your purchase

OP
OP
E

El Padroni

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the help! BTW, your rig looks awesome! I'll have to stalk your threads to see more pics.

TriBeard

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As far as I know, there are no real years to stay away from. The 2000-2002 trucks are sometimes simpler and cheaper to work on than the 2003 up ones due to the fact that in 2003 a lot more stuff went electrical and so everything from changing radios to the bulbs behind the gauges if they burn out becomes more complicated. I have a 2000 nbs truck myself, and I've been pretty happy with it. The only thing I would caution you with is that if the truck makes a high pitched whine, especially when low on fuel, that could mean that the fuel pump is on its last legs. My truck did this when I bought it and about 18k miles later, sure enough the fuel pump died.

As far as large maintenance, the fuel pump and the catalytic converter are the only things I've had to do to it so far (knock on wood) and from what I understand the cat should have lasted a lot longer than it did and most people never have trouble with it. Just my luck I guess. The transmission can be a weak point in these too, so just keep an eye out for signs of abuse or heavy towing and make sure it seems to shift ok.

For the most part though, they are all good trucks, and if I were you I would just try and find the lowest mileage NBS (2000 - 2002 preferably with that price range) you can for the money that seems solid mechanically.

OP
OP
E

El Padroni

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks Tribeard! I've seen a few ads listed on CL where the trannys were replaced. Those might be the first ones i'll take a look at.

Sounds like the NBS are pretty solid all around. I'll take a look at the earlier ones also since i'd hate to have any electrical gremlins.

imi4tth3w

Full Access Member
Reaction score
even though i have the 00-02 line, i prefer the 03-06 interior more. just nicer looking, everything is more updated.

check trans, you can pull the dipstick out, and if the fluid smells burnt, stay away. trans are the most expensive/common thing to go out on these. the original trans in my tahoe only lasted 70k. but when buying used, a lot of the time they will have already been replaced.

if you do get a 00-02, get the 02's. most of them came with more options. mine doesn't have heated or power recline seats, and some other small things here and there.

other than that, just keep an eye out for the normal stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo