Best Way to Delete Z85 air level on 2018 Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mako261B

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Newbie here...could not find an answer in engine/drivetrain so posting here.

I have a 2018 Tahoe with the Z85 rear air shocks (NOT the z95 magneride). I want to ditch the Z85 system entirely and go with Bilsteins and add my own airbags (maybe AirLift 1000?) for towing my very heavy 26' boat. Do I need to change the springs? Where do I put resistors to fool the system into thinking the air level system is still present? Do I just disconnect the air compressor and remove the ride height sensor arm? Thanks in advance.

mb1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the air ride isn’t keeping up are you sure you’re not over payload/tongue weight?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Generally, if you remove the air shocks, you need a stiffer spring, as the air ride relies on the air shocks to assist the springs.

OP
OP
M

Mako261B

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am definitely over the tongue weight limit for the 2018 Tahoe with my big boat. Prefer not to use a weight distributing hitch due to the surge breaks.

We've used Air Lift 1000's in my older 2004 Tahoe and they worked great. Was thinking to add those to this Z85 2018 Tahoe and in the process removing the existing air shocks. What springs would you recommend if going to simple shocks (like Bilstein 4600)? Anybody defeat the ride height sensor successfully? Xineering has a simple method for defeating the air compressor so that it passes self test.

OP
OP
M

Mako261B

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Interesting. I wonder how those affect the ride while quality not towing? I'm guessing the extra inch of ride height probably makes them stiffer than stock config.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rcarew907