Best torsion key ratio?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WHITEOUT

Dont Hate-Appreciate
Reaction score
So after replacing all front end steering components, ball joints, tie rods ect... My truck is SUPER bouncy in the front, and it wasn't like it before new parts. Now, I am cranked all the way up on both sides with my keys, lowered 2" spindles tho. I have heard having the keys cranked all the way up is not good for things, and I am starting to realize that now that my front end components are new.

What is the "stock" or optimal height/ratio for the keys?

4 turns out from cranked up? Both sides the same? driver side more?
Any help would be great.

I don't like being cranked up all the way, feels like I have no downward travel now, very bumpy and rolly!!

I am gonna lower keys alittle, but not really looking to go far, don't wanna drop front end too much more, since rear is level with front, right now

HELP, gotta get it aligned today or tomorrow, but need to get these keys placed correctly or best for my ride.

OP
OP
WHITEOUT

WHITEOUT

Dont Hate-Appreciate
Reaction score
Anybody??????
Nobody has any suggestions on whether it's good or bad to have keys cranked all the way up??????
I decranked each key 5 threads down, alittle stiffer, but also now sitting on jounce stops more. Less bumpy, and not as squirly for sure. I guess I'll just run it acouple different heights, and go from there.

If anyone has any suggestions, chime in please

Max

Mile High
Reaction score
Which shocks are you running? My truck is keys+spindles with one side pegged and the other almost and the ride is good with the tahoe z71 bumpstops. You can trim the jounce stops a bit but I like the z71 stops as the ride is firmer but it handles much better.

To better understand what is going on with your suspension you must first realize that these torsion bar ifs suspensions have no natural rebound; e.g. leaf springs and coil springs. Since the torsion bars have an infinite cycle you need a superior dampener (I prefer my bilstein H3 application shocks), a better bumpstop, or a combination of both (which is what I run).

Some people prefer a large amount of uptravel on these trucks but honestly the best ride I have found is from limiting the front travel to an area easily dampened which can be accomplished by using the correct length shocks and a different bumpstop (either the belltechs or the aforementioned z71 tahoe stops).

You can play around with the height but the torsion bar being indexed lower still exhibits the same characteristics of a stock key being decranked, hence the need for a premium dampener + proper length bumpstop dependent upon each individual application. Hope that helps :cheers:

OP
OP
WHITEOUT

WHITEOUT

Dont Hate-Appreciate
Reaction score
Thanks Max. I do get it, sorta, just feels like when they r crankes all up, it is more bouncy. I decranked bars, 5 thhreads each side, n was too stiff, n was crushimg jounce stops bad.
I found some bt sp shocks local for a good price, installed yesterday, n is much better now. I recranked keys, n feels softer now, but still alittle high n bouncy, but need to let keys settle tho.

Max, where do I get Z71 jouncd stops. I have same front setup as u, n r u sitting on ur jounce stops? Even cranked up, im just on them, but front end higher then rear, hate it. I wNt the Z71 stops cause I cut em before n hated the ride. I domt mind stiff, but I seem to be rockin bak n forth n jounce stops. Ni need some travel. Hope u can point in rite direction Max. Thx

Max

Mile High
Reaction score
I'll get a part # for ya but I cranked my truck up about 1/2" to install them. Twists like a ************ with 20psi in my helper bags and the eibach sways, I'll pm you the part # and install advice tomorrow.

OP
OP
WHITEOUT

WHITEOUT

Dont Hate-Appreciate
Reaction score
Very cool, I appreciate that. I think those are what I need, just trying to get the front end tuned in right.
I have been contemplating removing stops completely, but really hesitant . Like you said, the torsion bars really aren't meant to provide rebound too much, thus jounce stops are used.

Did you cut your Z71 stops? Or have you tried to with them cut? Just wondering, stiffer stops/ Z71, but having some travel/room between stops n LCA, mightfeel better over bumps, but give it more progressive feel. IDK, *********** here.

Just trying to get others opinions, and appreciate your input, advice and suggestions Max. thanks, n if you could PM Z71 part#, greatly appreciated. Also, where did you buy em?

---------- Post added at 12:18 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 10:33 PM ----------

Also, when I decranked keys this morning 4-5 threads, it lowered front 1", but it raised the rear.??????????? WTF??? why would it do that? and seemed the rear passenger almost raised 1 1/2". Is that common? why would it do that? IDK, seemed weird. May try decranking just alittle n see how it rides.

OP
OP
WHITEOUT

WHITEOUT

Dont Hate-Appreciate
Reaction score
So I recranked bars all the way up this morning, and was riding actually quite nice, just barely on jounce stops, and pretty soft. But may go down a thread or so, to get more progressive feel.

This afternoon I totally removed the jounce stops to see how it rides. Drove around, on freeway and street, and feels almost the same as before with jounce stops in. Cranked all the way up, very soft tho, but alittle wobbly?? IDK if I like it, never bottomed out, and kinda tried over speed bumps and bigger, so no issues there. But feels spongy without the jounce stops to give it the progressive feel.

Think I'm gonna put jounce stops back in and decrank alittle to get on jounce stops alittle more, for hopefully a, soft but progressive front end suspension. IDK will see i guess.

MAX, got those Z71 jounce stop part#???? and where to buy??? thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo