Best snow cables for 2003 Yukon Denali XL?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drno4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all,

Moving soon to a cold(er) weather state where we'll occasionally need snow cables or chains. Prefer cables.

Product recommendations for 2003 Yukon Denali XL? Original rims with 265 70R17 tires.

Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
drno4

drno4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes. But we are moving to a mountainous area that sometimes requires all vehicles to be chained/cabled/socked.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. But we are moving to a mountainous area that sometimes requires all vehicles to be chained/cabled/socked.
Interesting. I live in a mountain ski town full time and have a 2006 Yukon XL Denali AWD. In the 6 years I’ve owned it I’ve never put chains on it. In fact I don’t even have chains that fit my bigger tires. Lol. There have been a handful of days in the last few years that the chain restrictions have been R3 where all vehicles were supposed to chain up. I didn’t… and didn’t have any problems. Lol. I never needed them. So my apologies as I don’t have any recommendations for you. I have a pair of tire cables that fit my 2001 Durango tires before I had the Denali. It is local code requirement to carry chains in the winter months. I used to but now they’re buried in my storage unit somewhere. If I’m going up or down the mountain in a storm I always just say they are in the back when they ask, and they’ve never asked to actually see them. So I’ve been lucky in that regard I guess lol.

rzabel

Reaction score
I mostly keep mine with me in winter just to be legal when they say carry tire chains. I try to avoid traveling over the passes if they say chains are required, although our vehicles will do better than most even without them. I have the old school heavy duty chains with cams and tighteners. Slow going but really give you traction. The only time I've used them is off road when I was stuck or trying to pull someone else out that was stuck and they really did the trick. If I recall correctly I think the manual recommends not using chains and if you do, only on the rear.

OP
OP
drno4

drno4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I mostly keep mine with me in winter just to be legal when they say carry tire chains. I try to avoid traveling over the passes if they say chains are required, although our vehicles will do better than most even without them. I have the old school heavy duty chains with cams and tighteners. Slow going but really give you traction. The only time I've used them is off road when I was stuck or trying to pull someone else out that was stuck and they really did the trick. If I recall correctly I think the manual recommends not using chains and if you do, only on the rear.
Yes, you are correct the manual says, "DO NOT USE CHAINS" lol. So, really, my question and potential purpose is simply to have them on hand if and whenever I encounter a snarky State Transportation worker approaching a pass. :)

Thanks for your affirmation and for chiming in!

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve never used cables but I’ve used bulky chains on a 96 Silverado with 2wd and I tore through some serious snow with them.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not a thing in pa but again even with 2 feet of snow going up the mountain where i live ive never felt the need for such things. so far the best ive used is mastercraft axt and general grabber at and falken wildpeak at3w. the grabber at had "some" audible noise but quiet when compared to most snow tires. the falkens were a bit rough even with a comparable load range but great in the winter. im aware there are places that require the use of cables or chains but my area only requires severe weather rated snow tires. granted im not sure how some companies get their "winter" tires past that rating. Hankooks winter tire i tried to run last year was total garbage on my accord.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here in Oregon the law states chains OR traction devices and snow tires qualify as traction devices. But if you’re 4wd or AWD the law does not apply.