Best Shorty Header For Our 5.7L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

neosoul

Reaction score
What would be the best, most efficient shorty header for our 5.7L motors. Looking for headers that will give me the best hp gains.

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you wanting shorties, because you don’t want to do the other exhaust modifications that’s come with long tubes?

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
I vote mid-lengths...unless you're always running WOT (drag racing).

As stated...
  • Shorties have the easiest install (typically bolt to existing/factory exhaust). They flow/scavenge better than factory manifolds, but don't have the more efficient exhaust scavenging of the LTs and mid-lengths.
  • LTs give the largest top-end increases and have the longest primary tubes (better exhaust scavenging), but require lots of additional exhaust work and are often not legal in all states (primarily due to relocating the catalytic converters further back in the exhaust stream).
  • Mid-lengths are easier to install than LTs and harder than shorties. For daily driving and towing applications, they are generally rated the best option of the three due to installation effort and RPMs involved.
With all of the descriptions listed above, it's ultimately your choice... get what you want. There's a certain amount of "cool factor" involved with LTs and the exhaust note is noticeably different than the shorties. Personally, I have been VERY happy with my Thorley Tri-Y (mid-length) headers from exhaust note, installation, and performance standpoints.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shorties are pretty much for looks. If there's any increase in power from them, it's so small that it's negated by the retarded timing from the higher IATs from the extra heat they radiate into the engine bay.

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
Forgot to mention... ceramic coating is a highly suggested add-on for any header you consider.
Not only does it keep the header from rusting, but it dramatically reduces underhood temps.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
My American racing header was pretty simple to install once the old exhaust was out. Instead of fighting the oem, I ended up using a saw to cut below the cats so I could just unbolt it after the y section so everything just slid out no problem. After bolting up the headers to the block, it was easy to mount the y section because they have separate flanges and didn’t have to worry about the crossmember

2663C91F-FDD4-49B2-8522-14BC59164920.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn