Best backup camera install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Crippin87

Crippin87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure no problem, I will try to get a pic up tomorrow of what it looks like on the screen. I also have mine wired so that I can turn it on whenever I want, I tapped into the cig lighter spot on the back passenger side. If I have any trouble with it I may switch it to another source that only comes on when I back up. But no with the way I have it set up I did not lose any functionality of the button, it still pops the back glass just like it was factory that's why I love it lol. I have seen quite a few people put the cameras where I have mine but they always just pull the button completely out so it isn't functional anymore and put their backup camera in that spot. The OCD in me wouldn't allow me to do that lol so that's what drove me to come up with this set up.

OP
OP
Crippin87

Crippin87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After running it like this for a week the only thing I would do differently is like shreksbrother did and bought the model with no reverse guidelines. The guidelines don't do much good because you can't see your hitch, other than that...it's still amazing lol. I just got the 2nd camera I ordered and cut off wheels for my dremel so I can do a build on it for everyone to see how it was done step by step. Hopefully I will have that done this weekend or early in the week for you guys.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
After running it like this for a week the only thing I would do differently is like shreksbrother did and bought the model with no reverse guidelines. The guidelines don't do much good because you can't see your hitch, other than that...it's still amazing lol. I just got the 2nd camera I ordered and cut off wheels for my dremel so I can do a build on it for everyone to see how it was done step by step. Hopefully I will have that done this weekend or early in the week for you guys.

Do the lines at least help with judging distance?

OP
OP
Crippin87

Crippin87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In case anyone is interested in the model with no reverse guidelines the model number on that Esky EC170-11

OP
OP
Crippin87

Crippin87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the lines at least help with judging distance?
Lol sorry I accidentally posted that before I wrote anything. Yes the lines do help with distance they are just angled up a little I took a pic for you guys it's not the greatest it's dark but I will get a better one for you tomorrow.

IMG_0833.JPG

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Crippin87
I have an extra hatch mechanisim and I don't see how you did it, everything is so tight up in there. I'm going to give it a shot, I Just ordered the Esky EC170-11 camera once it comes in I will try do a write up.

Last edited:

shreksbrother

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I got mine installed, but was not able to figure out how to retain function of the button due to the way it all reassembles (as ivin74 pointed out, it's quite tightly fit together).

One other thing to remember as you're installing it is the need to temporarily power it on and mark the camera top and bottom. Otherwise it will be crooked since it is cylindrical with no discernable top/bottom.

Now that it's done, I'm happy with the results, but if I had to do it over again, I would not have since it was such a frustrating process (and my license plate camera worked fine).

One other thing to note, the diameter of the camera is less than that of the inside of the button. I used electrical tape to wrap several times around the camera to give it a larger diameter.

I've attached a photo of what it looks like (my monitor is in my rear view mirror).

If I can get good enough on CAD, I will 3D print something that will ot only mount the camera, but make the button work. I'm also considering just putting an actuator on the glass release and putting a button in the dash.

rearview.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14