Best backup camera install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crippin87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I wanted to brag a little and show everyone that it could be done. I had my camera mounted below the lift gate on the back side of the plastic on top of the bumper. Though the camera was pretty well hidden I hated it, made it look like a widescreen movie when I put it in reverse. So, over the weekend I went to my local junkyard and picked up an extra window release button and was able to mount the camera inside of that button and still retain the functionality of it. It took a lot of patience and dremeling but I couldn't be more happy with it. Here are the pics of it completed. I wish I would have done a build on it but I can try to explain it the best that I can if anyone else is interested in tackling it themselves.

IMG_0827.JPG

IMG_0822.JPG

IMG_0823.JPG

OP
OP
Crippin87

Crippin87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with the Esky EC170-06. It had really good reviews and a wide viewing range. I have been pretty happy with it and would recommend it to anyone. It even has the green, yellow and red lines for a distance indicator when backing.

shreksbrother

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I went ahead and ordered the no guideline model. The PO put dark tint on my Yukon and it is difficult to see out the back. I know that I could remove the tint, but I like the look, so I think I'll wire this to be always on (I have the rear view mirror with the monitor behind the glass, anyhow).

I'll make a junkyard run in the next day or two.

I assume that the camera needs to be removed from its casing? I'm looking forward to testing out my Dremel skills :) I usually use this bit: https://www.dremel.com/en_US/products/-/show-product/accessories/561-multipurpose-cutting-bit

I'll try to take some photos along the way and maybe we can co-author a little write-up on it.

OP
OP
Crippin87

Crippin87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I went ahead and ordered the no guideline model. The PO put dark tint on my Yukon and it is difficult to see out the back. I know that I could remove the tint, but I like the look, so I think I'll wire this to be always on (I have the rear view mirror with the monitor behind the glass, anyhow).

I'll make a junkyard run in the next day or two.

I assume that the camera needs to be removed from its casing? I'm looking forward to testing out my Dremel skills :) I usually use this bit: https://www.dremel.com/en_US/products/-/show-product/accessories/561-multipurpose-cutting-bit

I'll try to take some photos along the way and maybe we can co-author a little write-up on it.
Sounds good to me. I just ordered another camera and some more cut off wheels for my Dremel. Hopefully they will be here by this weekend and I can do a write up on it. I found another camera on eBay for like $12 so I figured I could just have a back up lol.

OP
OP
Crippin87

Crippin87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And no that's the nice thing about it is if you dremel the housing enough it will fit right in there without removing the housing of the camera or anything

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I've never had one, and thought I'd just hold out till I had a trick that came with one. Now you got me shopping..... *******.

Very nice work.

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have that same camera in my barn doors. Removed the lock cylinder and put the camera in. Great camera, on my 2nd one though. Had the first wired to acc power so I could switch to it anytime, it burned up in about 6 months. 2nd one on reverse only and it's been good for a year or so. Also put the same camera on my Acura, reverse only and been good for a year too.

Might want to try to angle the camera down a little, straight out I couldn't see my tow hitch, angled just a smidge and I can.

iTahoe

Reaction score
That's interesting. Do I lose the pop functionality of the button putting the camera in there? I might just run a 12V lead to the toggles in my center console so I can activate it at will in that case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt