best aftermarket nav unit? need to replace oem radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

njrealtor55

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i have a 2007 denali xl with bose, rear entertainment, nav, xm & onstar. The oem radio stopped working this morning (after it said satellite radio communication error). Not sure if it is a fuse, but since we want blue tooth - this may be the push i need to replace the head unit.

I am looking to retain all the steering wheel controls (will upgrade the right side buttons to the 2010 style for bluetooth), the rear entertainment, xm radio, rear camera. I am hoping to be able to use the onstar microphone with the new head unit. I don't use onstar, so I don't care if it is lost.

I would also like the option to be able to add the dvd screens in the 2nd row captain seats for the people in the 3rd row in the future. i saw them on crutchfield - it will be a good addition in a year or so.

I am looking for the best navigation headunit, and it appears the pioneer avic seems to be the frontrunner (cnet report). The issue is crutchfield says it will not fit my 2007. I haven't purchased an aftermarket head unit in many years - but i used to buy kenwood excellon. Not sure how it ranks nowadays, and if it has good navigation.

I know there are a few members here who have great knowledge about upgraded audio/video, and I am hoping someone can steer me in the correct direction. I am prepared to spend around $1,000 to $1,300 to get it done the right way.

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 PM ----------

oh, i forgot to add, i would like the radio to be able to stream music from my phone via bluetooth, and play music on my pandora account. I would really like to be able to control the music playing from pandora on the radio vs the phone.

96Taho

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i have a 2007 denali xl with bose, rear entertainment, nav, xm & onstar. The oem radio stopped working this morning (after it said satellite radio communication error). Not sure if it is a fuse, but since we want blue tooth - this may be the push i need to replace the head unit.

I am looking to retain all the steering wheel controls (will upgrade the right side buttons to the 2010 style for bluetooth), the rear entertainment, xm radio, rear camera. I am hoping to be able to use the onstar microphone with the new head unit. I don't use onstar, so I don't care if it is lost.

I would also like the option to be able to add the dvd screens in the 2nd row captain seats for the people in the 3rd row in the future. i saw them on crutchfield - it will be a good addition in a year or so.

I am looking for the best navigation headunit, and it appears the pioneer avic seems to be the frontrunner (cnet report). The issue is crutchfield says it will not fit my 2007. I haven't purchased an aftermarket head unit in many years - but i used to buy kenwood excellon. Not sure how it ranks nowadays, and if it has good navigation.

I know there are a few members here who have great knowledge about upgraded audio/video, and I am hoping someone can steer me in the correct direction. I am prepared to spend around $1,000 to $1,300 to get it done the right way.

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 PM ----------

oh, i forgot to add, i would like the radio to be able to stream music from my phone via bluetooth, and play music on my pandora account. I would really like to be able to control the music playing from pandora on the radio vs the phone.
The Kenwood ( Excelon990HD ) came out in 2013..... it was glitchy.... they updated with firmware a few times throghout the year.... now at the 2014 SEMA SHOW..........
THEY HAVE UNVEILED THERE 2014 MODEL..... I SUSPECT THEY GOT MOST OF THE BUGS FIXED...... IT'S CALLED THE ( EXCELON 991HD ) NOT CHEAP.. LIKE $1,400.00
BUT IT HAS ALL THE BELLS AND WHISTLES..... WON'T BE IN STORES TILL MARCH OR APRIL.... CHECK IT OUT..... I SUSPECT WHEN IT COMES OUT THE 2013 MODEL WILL DROP TO HALF PRICE AND YOU CAN PROBABLY DOWNLOAD THE 2014 UPDATES AND SAVE MONEY THAT WAY

MostWanted

Reaction score
I just had the Kenwood DNX 570 HD installed and I can still use my steering wheel controls, factory USB port, and OnStar. I also had a backup camera installed. You have to purchase the adapters separately to allow you to keep these functions. I had it all done at Best Buy...the car audio guys were great!

tazjamin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im looking to upgrade to a pioneer AVH-4000NEX!!! i have an last year model in my impala and it works great and looks nice and the sound is so much better. I love the bluetooth feature and now its even better this years model!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GMT 900 nut