Benefits of the diesel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a variable point as well.

Diesel being more expensive than gasoline, this is an ever changing value.
But it is always noticeably higher here. I can't remember when diesel was under $4 a gallon here, even when gasoline was around $3.
A better reason than mileage is needed to buy one around here.
Needing a HD truck with low end grunt would be the only one that comes to mind.

Last edited:

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a variable point as well.

Diesel being more expensive than gasoline, this is an ever changing value.
Diesel is not cheaper than premium by a long shot. Diesel is .50 lower than PUL in FL. Most people have 6.2’s and they need premium to be At their best. Plus 40% better mileage…

vadorsnake04

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When I think about mileage with the diesel, I don’t think about the savings from mileage. I actually just think about the less frequent stops lol.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesel is not cheaper than premium by a long shot.
On a drive from Breucklen to Suffolk County Lawn Guyland, the price of premium and diesel vary significantly.
Some places they're either very close, or the same, depending on when.
Some other places, diesel is clearly more expensive, always.
But the further away from Queens, the cheaper diesel becomes relative to premium - sometimes well cheaper.

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your trucks take Premium?
That doesn't make sense on GM's part.
Glad I have a pedestrian Tahoe.
I haven't bought Premium since I had the vette in 2003.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't own anything with a 6.2L.
What doesn't make sense on GM's part, is that the LS3 & L92 say '91 or 93' recommended ...
and the L92 L9H and L94 all say '91 or 93 recommended' ...
yet GM wrote the L92 L9H L94 Low Octane Spark Tables
failing to account that the L92 L9H L94 owners are far more likely to consider 87 octane.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've owned vehicles that would throw a CEL if you put regular in them and they recommended premium. Sure, you CAN do it. But there may be surprises down the road...

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regarding the L92-L9H-L94, is that
GM could've EASILY / should've written their (Low Octane) Spark Timing tables to better tolerate / utilize 87 octane,
even if that would've lowered the advertised peak horsepower and torque figures ...

... GM failed to do so, which led to a considerable number of L92-L9H-L94 that were abused to their breaking point.

SNWMBL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
These things average like $70k now, who cares if one type of fuel is $0.50 more.

We ordered a diesel for the fuel mileage and range when towing (based on reports I’ve read) and to avoid the issues with the 5.3 and 6.2, the diesels seem very reliable so far.