Been Lurking - but looking for some advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kchamber

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So - I have a 2008 Yukon XL Denali with 129K miles - it's a nice rig and has treated our family well as a Rocky Mountain area Hockey Team Hauler and Travel Trailer Puller - recently - I had the low oil pressure issue and my mechanic replaced the oil sending unit (which was about 1000 bucks becasue they had to take out the intake and put it back in) During that service I had them replace all belts and they did some other maintance items. Oil Pressure issue wasn't resolved and they believed the oil pump was wonky - so they replaced that and confirmed so scarring (with discounted shop rate for labor because of the runaround but assured me that the sending unit had in fact failed)

Meanwhile - the check engine light was on and I asked them to look into it (P1153 code 02 sensor) My mechanic stated that he believed it was a CAT issue and not just the O2 Sensor and sent me to a local muffler place that he said would be a better option for price and timeline for this job. Brought to local muffler joint - they confirmed both CAT's were toast - 2500 bucks for all sensors and all new CAT installed - drove for 40 miles - engine light - (P1153) - brought to muffler dudes and they were a little perplexed but ran diag and it showed the O2 sensors firing in normal range. He cleared the code - told me to drive it more and bring it right back if it kicks a code again.

Sure enough 40 miles later - Engine light - (P1153) - I bring it back to muffler dudes. They called me a couple hours later stating that the computer needs and update and it's about 250 bucks becuase it's reading emmission outputs differently in the new update which is kicking this code.

I have googled/lurked/asked around and people have confirmed this could be the issue - but wanted the opinion of this group of folks who have come across all sorts of phantom issues with these rigs. I'm about 4500 bucks into chasing a few issues! Thanks!

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
personally I think that's a load of crap, never heard of a computer update being needed because of the cat's and 02 sensors being replaced. I would try replacing the passenger side forward 02 sensor and throw the dice and see what happens, you can do it yourself for about $65.00 (cost of the sensor) just takes a wrench, passenger forward sensor is not hard to reach or do at all.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Iowa.

If they replaced all the sensors, but the code is always P1153 - Bank 2/Sensor 1, I would swap Bank 1 and Bank 2 sensors to see if the problem moves. If it was how the computer was reading the sensors, I would think it would be all sensors, not just the one.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If they replaced all the sensors, but the code is always P1153 - Bank 2/Sensor 1, I would swap Bank 1 and Bank 2 sensors to see if the problem moves. If it was how the computer was reading the sensors, I would think it would be all sensors, not just the one.
that is one way, just be aware the drivers side forward 02 sensor can be difficult to reach, you will def want a crows foot type socket and 02 sensor socket to swap them

OP
OP
kchamber

kchamber

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
personally I think that's a load of crap, never heard of a computer update being needed because of the cat's and 02 sensors being replaced. I would try replacing the passenger side forward 02 sensor and throw the dice and see what happens, you can do it yourself for about $65.00 (cost of the sensor) just takes a wrench, passenger forward sensor is not hard to reach or do at all.

Thanks for the feedback!

OP
OP
kchamber

kchamber

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Thanks!

OP
OP
kchamber

kchamber

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So - I have a 2008 Yukon XL Denali with 129K miles - it's a nice rig and has treated our family well as a Rocky Mountain area Hockey Team Hauler and Travel Trailer Puller - recently - I had the low oil pressure issue and my mechanic replaced the oil sending unit (which was about 1000 bucks becasue they had to take out the intake and put it back in) During that service I had them replace all belts and they did some other maintance items. Oil Pressure issue wasn't resolved and they believed the oil pump was wonky - so they replaced that and confirmed so scarring (with discounted shop rate for labor because of the runaround but assured me that the sending unit had in fact failed) Meanwhile - the check engine light was on and I asked them to look into it (P1153 code 02 sensor) My mechanic stated that he believed it was a CAT issue and not just the O2 Sensor and sent me to a local muffler place that he said would be a better option for price and timeline for this job. Brought to local muffler joint - they confirmed both CAT's were toast - 2500 bucks for all sensors and all new CAT installed - drove for 40 miles - engine light - (P1153) - brought to muffler dudes and they were a little perplexed but ran diag and it showed the O2 sensors firing in normal range. He cleared the code - told me to drive it more and bring it right back if it kicks a code again. Sure enough 40 miles later - Engine light - (P1153) - I bring it back to muffler dudes. They called me a couple hours later stating that the computer needs and update and it's about 250 bucks becuase it's reading emmission outputs differently in the new update which is kicking this code. I have googled/lurked/asked around and people have confirmed this could be the issue - but wanted the opinion of this group of folks who have come across all sorts of phantom issues with these rigs. I'm about 4500 bucks into chasing a few issues! Thanks!

so I ran some of this info past mechanic. He said all of those things have been checked and doubled checked. They said they then found technical service bulletin 08-06-04-045a which was the exact issue ran my VIN and indicated it had not been addressed - so that’s what they ended up doing. We shall see if it works! Mechanic seemed confident this will solve the mystery.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
so I ran some of this info past mechanic. He said all of those things have been checked and doubled checked. They said they then found technical service bulletin 08-06-04-045a which was the exact issue ran my VIN and indicated it had not been addressed - so that’s what they ended up doing. We shall see if it works! Mechanic seemed confident this will solve the mystery.
:popcorn:

MojoPaul

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So - I have a 2008 Yukon XL Denali with 129K miles - it's a nice rig and has treated our family well as a Rocky Mountain area Hockey Team Hauler and Travel Trailer Puller - recently - I had the low oil pressure issue and my mechanic replaced the oil sending unit (which was about 1000 bucks becasue they had to take out the intake and put it back in) During that service I had them replace all belts and they did some other maintance items. Oil Pressure issue wasn't resolved and they believed the oil pump was wonky - so they replaced that and confirmed so scarring (with discounted shop rate for labor because of the runaround but assured me that the sending unit had in fact failed)

Meanwhile - the check engine light was on and I asked them to look into it (P1153 code 02 sensor) My mechanic stated that he believed it was a CAT issue and not just the O2 Sensor and sent me to a local muffler place that he said would be a better option for price and timeline for this job. Brought to local muffler joint - they confirmed both CAT's were toast - 2500 bucks for all sensors and all new CAT installed - drove for 40 miles - engine light - (P1153) - brought to muffler dudes and they were a little perplexed but ran diag and it showed the O2 sensors firing in normal range. He cleared the code - told me to drive it more and bring it right back if it kicks a code again.

Sure enough 40 miles later - Engine light - (P1153) - I bring it back to muffler dudes. They called me a couple hours later stating that the computer needs and update and it's about 250 bucks becuase it's reading emmission outputs differently in the new update which is kicking this code.

I have googled/lurked/asked around and people have confirmed this could be the issue - but wanted the opinion of this group of folks who have come across all sorts of phantom issues with these rigs. I'm about 4500 bucks into chasing a few issues! Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AEHaas