BCM Programming... who and **?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
energizedtech

energizedtech

Reaction score
If this would be useful to anybody in the forum, I translated the PDF file with all the RPO codes into an Excel sheet which allows you to drop in a list of RPO code on the "Source Car Sheet" and translate their options.

I left my truck in their as an example. I thought it might be easier to "snap a picture" of the options from a Glove box to determine what had been enabled in one vehicle vs another to determine what you Might want to turn on

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this would be useful to anybody in the forum, I translated the PDF file with all the RPO codes into an Excel sheet which allows you to drop in a list of RPO code on the "Source Car Sheet" and translate their options.

I left my truck in their as an example. I thought it might be easier to "snap a picture" of the options from a Glove box to determine what had been enabled in one vehicle vs another to determine what you Might want to turn on
You can’t just “turn on” RPO’s by programming them into the BCM. You need to use a VIN from a vehicle with the RPO’s you want. The Tech2 uses the list of RPO’s associated with that VIN to program the BCM in your vehicle.

OP
OP
energizedtech

energizedtech

Reaction score
NewSteeringWheel.jpg

Future upgrade for my 2006 Suburban 2500. Pulled from a 2003 Chevy Tahoe (and yep, I've used some of it's bits to put other woodgrain in the truck. I kinda like it :)

OP
OP
energizedtech

energizedtech

Reaction score
You can’t just “turn on” RPO’s by programming them into the BCM. You need to use a VIN from a vehicle with the RPO’s you want. The Tech2 uses the list of RPO’s associated with that VIN to program the BCM in your vehicle.
Ah so it's like my friend mentioned. I need to find a 2006 Suburban with all of my base options *and* the ones I want then... (or YukonXL,EscaladeXL) and "Borrow the vin" for the programming.

....and now the challenge. Anybody got a 2006 Suburban *with* the controls on the wheel? ;)

I did grab the Vin from 2003 Tahoe which is probably a good "Start" but I am presuming that is too much of a jump and could mess up my Suburban unless that Tahoe has the same 2500, Transmission, 4WD etc

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah so it's like my friend mentioned. I need to find a 2006 Suburban with all of my base options *and* the ones I want then... (or YukonXL,EscaladeXL) and "Borrow the vin" for the programming.

....and now the challenge. Anybody got a 2006 Suburban *with* the controls on the wheel? ;)

I did grab the Vin from 2003 Tahoe which is probably a good "Start" but I am presuming that is too much of a jump and could mess up my Suburban unless that Tahoe has the same 2500, Transmission, 4WD etc
The BCM has nothing to do with the trans engine etc just the body control functions. The other stuff is controlled by the TCM and ECM.

OP
OP
energizedtech

energizedtech

Reaction score
So finding a 2007 Suburban loaded with all the options I need (at least INCLUDING my set) would be a good start for the BCM then? But if the BCM is already programmed with a VIN will that cause an issue?

*or* is it that the Tech 2 connects up with the VIN, downloads the necessary binary code for that VIN and applies it to the BCM?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven’t used a different VIN to program with but from what I understand, each VIN has RPO codes associated with it and those are programmed into the module. Hopefully somebody who has done this will chime in. I have programmed a used module that had a different VIN when I bought it, and used my VIN when programming it and the correct options for my truck were programmed.

jwth

Reaction score
I did try this in the past for my yukon and came up with an invalid vin match for the vehicle which did not allow for any updating. It dod rewrite the ecm with the new vin and I had to change the vin back with hptuners to get back to proper operation, caused some other modules to not work correctly and they head to be reprogrammed after as well.

OP
OP
energizedtech

energizedtech

Reaction score
I did try this in the past for my yukon and came up with an invalid vin match for the vehicle which did not allow for any updating. It dod rewrite the ecm with the new vin and I had to change the vin back with hptuners to get back to proper operation, caused some other modules to not work correctly and they head to be reprogrammed after as well.
Once I get to that level, I will look into writing up an FAQ on "Updating your BCM with new options" if one does not exist already.

for Potential VINS with options I did find AutoTrader.com on the US side is ripe with models and vin's pre-posted. Some ads are incredibly detailed.

I guess the OTHER option is to go to GM and pay to have the option ADDED to my BCM. Just after my last experience, not sure how I feel about that.

imi4tth3w

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve actually got an 06 suburban 2500 with those extra controls.
347F27F1-9B80-436D-890C-0CB6E931190E.png
47D1AADA-C672-4F48-8FA9-3C6E45513E3A.jpeg
B11014B5-AC67-4691-AD55-DB45F6CF210D.jpeg
Feel free to try my vin

I also have a VCXnano that can do tech2 emulation. It’s a little tricky to set them up and you probably want to use it in a VM (slightly sketchy Chinese software lol) but can’t beat it for $120

VXDIAG VCX Nano Multiple GDS2 and TIS2WEB Diagnostic/Programming System for GM/Opel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NACTAY...abc_0JND8V05FWKT4W912E0H?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094