BB Tune, Range Tech and Oil Consumption 07 5.3L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

farmingdales finest

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First off I am not a mechanic so bear with me.

My 2007 Yukon XL last Friday was driving great until suddenly It started making a loud metallic banging noise that got worse with acceleration. I had no warning lights come on. It has had excessive oil consumption since about 40,000 miles and it now has 129,000. Burning about 1qt per thousand miles and my GMC dealer said it was normal and they wouldn't help me when it first did this. I confirmed this with my mechanic that GM considered that normal which we both felt was ridiculous.

On Monday this week I had it towed to my mechanic and he did a motor flush and oil change. That cleared up the noise so he didn't pull open the engine. He said if that didn't work he expected lifter damage. He wants me to drive it for 1,000 miles and bring it back for a change and to check it out to see if there is anything that needs to be addressed. Which leads to my questions.

In my research over last weekend and this week I have read some people say that getting a BB tune or the Range Tech module will get rid of the oil consumption. My question is will they work with a higher mileage engine like mine? Will I need to do anything else to the engine in light of what has recently happened and finally since I am out of warranty which would be a better option for me? I don't beat my truck with high revving , don't tow. I use it as a daily driver to get me to work, home projects on the weekend and to take me hunting and fishing on the weekend.

Thanks in advance! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo