battery and alternator upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rippinitup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its about time i replace the battery, it dies every few days, dim lights on dash exc. im not sure if the alternator is going but id like to replace it with something stronger or strong as possible for future plans of e fans.

i was looking at optima batteries just not sure which one to get. they have a few for our trucks. anyone have any experience with them? which one should i go for?

as for the alternator, i have no idea about them. any info would be appreciated thanks!

Z-56 Hoe

What do I do????
Reaction score
Power master high output alternator. I am running a 300 amp.

I am running Optima Yellow top battery's. I've got two with a Duel battery setup. The 2500 HD right side fender brace is built with a batter tray To run a duel battery setup

I see you are in New York so if I were you I would probably run a Red top, it has more cold cranking amps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rippinitup

rippinitup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Power master high output alternator. I am running a 300 amp.

I am running Optima Yellow top battery's. I've got two with a Duel battery setup. The 2500 HD right side fender brace is built with a batter tray To run a duel battery setup

I see you are in New York so if I were you I would probably run a Red top, it has more cold cranking amps.

thanks for the info man. can you link me to the alternator if you dont mind?

so is that the difference between the yellow top and red top? just the cold cranking amps?

MRS.Z-56_Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I can awnser this one! The yellow top is a deep cycle and the Blue is a Marine battery.

I know we ordered the alternator from four wheel parts. But ill see i think we kept one of there boxes

kebm

Reaction score
I have had both Optima red top and yellow top batteries, they are great. I currently have a yellow top in the Yukon that was previously powering our camper. I had been buying Optima batteries from Sams club, but they switched and now carry duracell instead. That is fine with me, they are priced much lower than optima. I did some research and found that the duracell agm batteries are made by Deka/East Penn mfg. - which is one of the best battery makers out there. I have a duracell agm in both my Pacifica and my wifes Town&country van, and two duracell deep cycle agm's in my camper.
Agm batteries do not corrode expensive cables/terminals like flooded batteries, last longer, hold a charge much longer, and can be mounted in any position (my 2 camper batteries I have mounted sideways). I clean the terminals when replacing the battery, put a coating of terminal protector on, and have not had any terminal corrosion since.
Most of the guys on the camper forums are using flooded batteries that require constant maintenance, checking/filling water level in each cell, testing with a hygrometer, checking charge level, etc weekly or monthly. I switched to agm and will not go back! I may have less reserve capacity, but the low maintenance/durability is worth it to me.
A deep cycle battery can be discharged (to a point) again and again without damage. A regular battery cannot, but usually will have higher cold cranking amps and/or reserve capacity. So, if you use your battery to run accessories without the engine running-and do not live in the north, you should get a deep cycle. Deep cycle batteries cost more, so only get one if you need it.
I have found that the price of the duracell agm's at sams club is only slightly higher than the flooded batteries from my local auto parts chains and walmart.
On the alternator, I do not know which brand to recommend, but I look for a high output one that will produce at least 100 amps at engine idle. Almost all standard ones only output their rated amperage at 1500 rpm or more. That means on short trips or in-town/stop and go traffic the battery is not getting fully recharged. Add extreme high or low outside temps(running hvac, wipers, or other accessories ), there is a good chance of being stranded with a no start due to a dead battery. Been there, don't want to do it again!
EDIT: FWIW, I live in Maine and have used optima yellow top batteries in a 1998 Jeep wrangler 6 cylinder and never had any problems starting it in the cold.

Last edited:

Chiggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Optima Yellow top and the big three wire upgrade should be all you need unless you're running some crazy stereo setup or a snow plow. I know there's a difference in the 05+ voltage regulator in the alternator. Maybe when you go to your E-fans get the new style alternator.

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have been running Yellow tops in my vehicle's for years. Really like them.

Dual battery setup. There are tons upon tons of photos of this mod scattered around. Just look for them. I believe there is also a guide or two on this website for it.

As far as alternator it's a matter of brand preference. I plan to get a Mechman alternator when I upgrade mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TiGrayMSM