Bankrupt GM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Virginia Donkey

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No one made GM accept the govt money. GM had to take the loot or close up shop. Besides the Malibu, they really didn't have any real competitive vehicles. Ford didn't and they are in a much stronger position because of it. Also the Ford family didn't want to lose control of the company to the gov't...which is probably the biggest reason why they didn't take any money.

And since this is a Tahoe/ Yukon forum....although the new ones are very nice, no one buys big SUV's anymore because it's not the cool/hip/green whatever flavor of the month.

MikeTheApeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford didn't and they are in a much stronger position because of it. Also the Ford family didn't want to lose control of the company to the gov't...which is probably the biggest reason why they didn't take any money.

The only reason Ford didn't take any money (although they did ask for an emergency line of credit that they would only touch if needed) is they saw this coming and mortgaged a lot of their assets to bank cash at the right time. Their business model isn't much better than GM's was, they just timed it right.

And it saddens me to come here and see people getting on their high horse that Obama's the reason all this happened. Gimme a break. This isn't a Jeep forum, we're supposed to be smarter than that.

titanium02

w7's or bust.
Reaction score
GM being in the rough spot that it's in dosn't make me love my truck any less.. and that passion will still be just as strong as it's always been long after the dust settles on this issue.. Parts will still be made for us and people will still be buying and customizing their chevy's and GM's.. I can see the problem if you were in the market for a brand new tahoe or yukon, but if you already have one.. then this shouldnt effect us at all..

PavementPounder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think the company will restructor(sp?) and come back lean and strong. Less dealers to compete amongst themselves, less vehicles to produce (no need for 5 of the same vehicle with a different badge). I will be buying stock when it becomes availible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia