Balancing beads?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like jack stands might be cheaper than beads... Just jack it up when putting it away for 1+ weeks. Then lower it when you are ready to roll.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it’s ok with them driving normal? I’m pretty sure @SnowDrifter doesn't care how they perform in a drag race situation. And they aren’t designed for that anyway.

they are just ok, they never felt fully balanced to me. little vibration unless i got up to 70 mph. once rebalanced with weights its like rolling on glass. and i can launch it hard and not vibrate like the wheels were coming off it.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whack! Lol. My express van is my rolling toolbox so I have no choice but to drive that everyday.

well the hoe is the full time daily now. was kinda nice to just flip a coin on which to take lol

Jim b

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have used balancing beads for years in most of my vehicles. From 22.5s on my motor home to 185 14's on my vw golf.
I have them in the 34's on the Tahoe and the load range F's on my Dodge pickup
They perform pretty well but a good spin balance will be better on some tires.
Beads work better in tires with taller aspect ratios.

I prefer the round ceramic beads to the sand style. I mount my own tires and install them during mounting.

I buy them in bulk and use a digital scale to weigh out the appropriate amount+20% based on the bead mfg recommendation for the tire size.
One downside is no fix a flat for a roadside repair! Some tire guys grumble about recovering them and putting them back during a flat repair.
If I had a rig that I wanted to drive 80mph and was having a tire shop put on the new tires I would start with a good spin balance.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only time I tried using these was in my old suburban’s 15” rims/tires and I was not impressed. Not sure how effective they are with the newer larger rims and tires on later vehicles. I know guys running large super swappers and commercial truck tires swear by them. We experimented with them on another forum too. If you use metal BB gun pellets you can hear them tinking off the rims at slow speed lol. I can’t imagine anything any type of material bouncing around in a rim with pressure sensors would be a good thing though. But that’s just my thoughts. Certainly an option for some and their situations I just feel they don’t compare to a good spin balance IMHO.

hyper z

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have used the ceramic beads with 35’s on 20” wheels and 37’s on 22” wheels. No complaints.

Reaction score
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9