Bad knock out of nowhere! Please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So My 09 Yukon just started knocking last week. I was hoping for lifters or something lesser but the more I'm reading, the less confidence I'm having. The knock is consistent with rpms and acceleration. Check Engine and Stabilitrak flash at 2500 rpms, then rough idles for about a minute or two. I've changed the oil and added Marvel Mystery. It's quieted the noise slightly, but I'm still concerned.
Does your Yukon have the 5.3 or 6.2?
How many miles on your vehicle?
Have you been able to read the DTC codes with a scanner?
What did your oil look like when you changed it?

If you can post a video so we can hear the knocking, that might help folks here help you.

Reaction score
Does your Yukon have the 5.3 or 6.2?
How many miles on your vehicle?
Have you been able to read the DTC codes with a scanner?
What did your oil look like when you changed it?

If you can post a video so we can hear the knocking, that might help folks here help you.

5.3l v8
I don't remember the exact readings but there were several.
The oil was super dark, didn't notice any sludge or metal.

I also noticed oil leaking near #7, but when we pulled the plug it was dry.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
5.3l v8
I don't remember the exact readings but there were several.
The oil was super dark, didn't notice any sludge or metal.

I also noticed oil leaking near #7, but when we pulled the plug it was dry.
I would not rule out a lifter, or lifters, being collapsed. I believe your vehicle has AFM. Getting the codes would be helpful.

When you say oil is leaking near #7, what do you mean?

Reaction score
I would not rule out a lifter, or lifters, being collapsed. I believe your vehicle has AFM. Getting the codes would be helpful.

When you say oil is leaking near #7, what do you mean?

I'll post the codes tomorrow when I can run them again.
After I changed the oil and whipped away the residue, I started her up and I noticed leakage just below where #7 is but could not pin point exactly where it was coming from.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll post the codes tomorrow when I can run them again.
After I changed the oil and whipped away the residue, I started her up and I noticed leakage just below where #7 is but could not pin point exactly where it was coming from.
Sounds good.

I noticed that it looks like you have a conversation on this topic going on two different threads. Might be good to keep both threads updated with your codes when you get them.

Reaction score
Sounds good.

I noticed that it looks like you have a conversation on this topic going on two different threads. Might be good to keep both threads updated with your codes when you get them.

I will... going to try and upload the video now.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like its in the valve train to me too. Lifter, valve spring, rocker arm, push rod/

Not good

Don't drive it

Pull one valve cover at a time and look for the problem

Reaction score
Sounds like its in the valve train to me too. Lifter, valve spring, rocker arm, push rod/

Not good

Don't drive it

Pull one valve cover at a time and look for the problem

Unfortunately, we don't have a choice but to drive it. We're limping it when we do. Gratefully we don't have to go far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyc2011Denali