Axle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

that331racer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Are there any performance axle swaps for the gm 10 bolt out there that can withstand about 600 whp?

OP
OP
that331racer

that331racer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2011 chevy tahoe z71 and I am looking to do a whole drive train swap. This includes an lt4 paired with a 10l90e. The transfer case is being swapped to a mp3024. My only concern is the rear axle.

OP
OP
that331racer

that331racer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The upgrade to the GM 10 bolt is called the 14 bolt.

Luckily for you, the 14 bolt 6 lug was offered in your generation as an option (came standard with the 6.2 IIRC, maybe others as well?), so it would be a direct swap.
If I find an 8 lug version, can I swap out the axle shafts for 6 lug ones?

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I find an 8 lug version, can I swap out the axle shafts for 6 lug ones?
No.

The 8 lug 14 bolt axles are actually a bit different (different bearings vs the 6 lug axles), and came in semi float and full float. GM changed the 8 lug pattern in 2011, so that complicated things even further.

Unless you want to run adapters or run 8 lug rims out back.

On the performancetruck.net forum there's a cool 14 bolt swap guide page. I believe you can make yourself a 14 bolt with some full sized Express Van 6 lug axles, but I've never really delved into the details. Besides, why bother when you can get yourself an AXN axle, now that those are standard on pretty much standard on all trucks and with larger brakes?

Also look into the 2KXX SUV axles (same or similar to the AXN). I'm not sure if those are also a direct swap. I've seen a thread here.

OP
OP
that331racer

that331racer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No.

The 8 lug 14 bolt axles are actually a bit different (different bearings vs the 6 lug axles), and came in semi float and full float. GM changed the 8 lug pattern in 2011, so that complicated things even further.

Unless you want to run adapters or run 8 lug rims out back.

On the performancetruck.net forum there's a cool 14 bolt swap guide page. I believe you can make yourself a 14 bolt with some full sized Express Van 6 lug axles, but I've never really delved into the details. Besides, why bother when you can get yourself an AXN axle, now that those are standard on pretty much standard on all trucks and with larger brakes?

Also look into the 2KXX SUV axles (same or similar to the AXN). I'm not sure if those are also a direct swap. I've seen a thread here.
Thank you! I was also wondering if I should swap the front end out for a gm 9.25? If there are any other swap options, I'm open for suggestions.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you! I was also wondering if I should swap the front end out for a gm 9.25? If there are any other swap options, I'm open for suggestions.
9.25 ifs swap? I believe that's possible, but requires a good amount of fabrication. At that point, might as well get yourself a 2500 SUV.

What are you using the truck for? Racing or off-roading?

If racing, probably fine with axle upgrades and keeping the 10 bolt or optional 14 bolt AXN.

Off-roading, get the beefiest drivetrain offered you can get yourself into your truck. Or solid axle front swap. Off-roading is tough on drivetrain, depending on terrain and use. Seems like the guys doing extreme use at some point break anything and everything, no matter how beefy or what they run. Dana 60 front with a GM 14 bolt full float rear is a pretty standard setup for any rig doing moderate+ off road trails.

OP
OP
that331racer

that331racer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
9.25 ifs swap? I believe that's possible, but requires a good amount of fabrication. At that point, might as well get yourself a 2500 SUV.

What are you using the truck for? Racing or off-roading?

If racing, probably fine with axle upgrades and keeping the 10 bolt or optional 14 bolt AXN.

Off-roading, get the beefiest drivetrain offered you can get yourself into your truck. Or solid axle front swap. Off-roading is tough on drivetrain, depending on terrain and use. Seems like the guys doing extreme use at some point break anything and everything, no matter how beefy or what they run. Dana 60 front with a GM 14 bolt full float rear is a pretty standard setup for any rig doing moderate+ off road trails.
I plan on using it as a daily with a little bit of heavy towing here and there. I mostly wanted to see if a 9.25 would help with 4wd launches and not shredding the front end. But looking into the capabilities of the 8.25, I realize that I don't need the 9.25.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900