AWD Shift Selector Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

Thauber

Reaction score
There's only two shift forks, one for high and one for low. If your engaged in one more and not the other, then yes, a shift forks could have failed, only way to know for certain is to drop that transfer case and crack it open. Also, you won't get a coffee for broken pads on a shift fork

Okay, so if I'm understanding the functions, then no Stabilitrack would not likely have anything to do with mechanical internals on the t case? Hi and Lo have no problems whatsoever.

I wish I still had access to my '03 that was the same setup. Everything on it worked, and I don't recall hearing anything from the t case when selecting Stabilitrack mode, but maybe I just wasn't listening hard enough. I assumed it was all electronic, simply using wheel speed and abs sensors to apply brakes as the way to transfer power to the correct wheel(s). Anyone have one of these "AWD" setups and can verify if there is any sound from t case when changing from the normal mode (center button) to Stabilitrack mode (top button)?

Still hunting for a neighbor with a Tech 2 or similar.

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a simpleton so please don't flame me for these simple suggestions;
Check fuses? Since I don't have stabilitrack don't know if there's a fuse for that or perhaps abs as well. Since that system uses abs for proper function a mid grade scanner should see abs pending codes, live data on the wheel speed sensors to see if one or more is wonky. Just throwing some hopefully cheaper ideas out.

OP
OP
T

Thauber

Reaction score
I'm a simpleton so please don't flame me for these simple suggestions;
Check fuses?

All good man, sometimes we forget those simple things and cause ourselves some major headaches. I didn't check for that fuse specifically, but I have been over the two fuse panels and checked that every fuse was working. Being the truck had issues when I went to buy it, I went over everything I could to make sure I was okay.

I had a friend call me once, he was running late for a business meeting and his 2014 F150 with about 100k on the clock wouldn't start. Dash lights all came on, but no attempt to engage starter. Being a good friend, I had convinced him several months before when helping with a project that he needed to get a simple multi-meter to have around. I must have walked him through about 20 minutes of things to look at, check voltages, test fuses, etc, before it hit me like a brick. I asked "Dude, do you have a spare key?".... Truck started right up. Sometimes it is the simplest of things.

Anyway, back to this Yukon, I have someone coming over on the morrow with a Tech 2!! Hoping to find some answers.

I have also been repairing the A/C system on this. He had a quote a local shop gave him to fix the hot air coming out the passenger vents and rear vents when A/C was supposed to be on, they wanted $1k to fix it, with $600 of that for labor to remove/install dash for that passenger blend door actuator. I got home and said screw that, its summer, popped the dash vent out, "helped" the actuator get the passenger blend door to the cold side, then unplugged it. It's a damn tight fit to reach that bastard though. Rear was a breeze to move to cold and lock. Have new ones on the way, I'll get them in before it gets too cold.

TM98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t recall hearing a noise when I hit the top button. I’m thinking it’s more electronic as it disables the stability and traction control. I will have to check later when I get a chance.

OP
OP
T

Thauber

Reaction score
I don’t recall hearing a noise when I hit the top button. I’m thinking it’s more electronic as it disables the stability and traction control. I will have to check later when I get a chance.

Thanks, much appreciated.

The guy with the GM Tech 2 wasn't able to come by yesterday after all, will be next weekend.

TM98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pushed the stabilitrack button last night and the only thing it did was a single chime, said stability sys disabled, and had the t/c light up in the dash. They both stayed on until I hit the button again to turn it back on. 752416750dc3d958361dc41db2b83b8b.jpg

TM98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also found this searching about the stabilitrack system. I do know if the system senses wheel slip it will cut power to the engine and you cannot give it more gas. I found that out the hard way the first time I drove out on the beach in very soft sand. Now anytime I drive on the beach I disable the stabilitrack system.

The StabiliTrak Vehicle Stability Enhancement System improves vehicle stability, particularly on slick surfaces or during emergency maneuvers. The system uses an array of sensors coupled with a master electronic control module to constantly monitor the driver’s steering commands. When StabiliTrak senses one or more of the wheels slipping, loss of lateral traction (side slip), understeer (plowing) or oversteer (fishtailing), the system adjusts engine torque and/or brake pressure at individual wheels to help the driver get the vehicle back on track.

OP
OP
T

Thauber

Reaction score
Thanks for that. I'm assuming your vehicle setup is also the 2-speed AWD version, with the 3 button selector where normally the 4 button 4x4 (or 3 if no Auto 4x4) switch is?

One like this:

0924191352.jpg

For those that don't have one or haven't seen one, they really aren't that uncommon. This is the second one I've owned. Manual shows middle button as normal AWD (equates to FT 4x4 HI with power split 60/40) and the bottom is obviously 4LO. There is no 2wd on this vehicle, thus why they called this AWD, just with 2 speeds.

I can shift between them no problem whatsoever. It is when I try to activate the Stabilitrack (top button) that is says "nope, not gonna happen". I get the same message yours (TM98) shows, but only for a second or two and they go away, with the light never changing from normal AWD (middle button) to Stabilitrack (top button). My simple OBDII scan tool shows no codes, so if this guy doesn't show with a Tech 2 this coming weekend, I'll have to shell out $100 for the local stealership to tell me if there is a code hidden in there. Would be $75 cheaper to buy a used switch and swap them, but I hate buying parts that I don't know that I need... yet...

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hold on a minute... your saying that when you hit the top button, the stabilitrack system is disabled. Isn’t that what’s suppose to happen? When you start the car, I thought the stabilitrack system is automatically engaged. So when you hit the top button for the first time after a start, it will disengage. I’m missing something.

OP
OP
T

Thauber

Reaction score
Yes and no. It should behave the way TM98's does, with with message of "stability system disabled" on DIC and TC OFF light staying on. Mine just flashes up for about 2 seconds and disappears, as in both the message and the TC OFF light. It does not remain OFF like it is supposed to.

I think the miscommunication is I'm not trying to turn Stabiltrack ON, it is ON, but when I activate that button (depress it), it should shut Stabilitrack and TC OFF and stay OFF until I turn it back ON, or turn the vehicle off and then restart it. My apologies if I causes confusion on that part. By activate the button, I'm simply meaning "push the button to make it do what it is supposed to do", and this one isn't doing that, AKA turning OFF Stabilitrack and TC and keeping them OFF. I may have also confused when saying light for the top button, there is no light. Again, my apologies for not being clear.

What I was looking for is someone else that has had this issue or seen this issue and knows what to probe with a multi-meter to track the cause of it. Being there are no codes coming back on the scan tool, I fear there is a separate computer module that is to blame. If my neighbor ever makes it over with his Tech 2, perhaps that can see what the cause is, but that is also assuming he would know how to find it through that tool.

Edit: TM98's, not TD98's, oops

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz