Automatic transmission fluid and differentials

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Power_Dr

Reaction score
I watched that video and I have a couple questions. I have a 2019 Yukon 5.3 and I want to change the transmission fluid and replace it with Amsoil. I want to do the drain like they did in the video to get almost all the fluid out so I don't mix it with the Amsoil, their website says you can mix them but I would like to get all the fluid out and replace it all. So my question is, when they are running the fluid out of the cooler line, doesn't it run the pump dry when they get to the end and it starts to sputter? I know I am over thinking this but I saw a lot of videos on this and they all do it the same, they connect a hose to the cooler line and start the truck and run it all out.

The last time I changed the fluid on my old Tahoe, I dropped the pan and changed out the filter and refilled the pan, then I disconnected the cooler line and started the truck, I poured the new fluid down the dip stick tube as the old fluid was running out until it got really red. I don't see anyone doing it this way.

Thanks,

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can still do it your old way. This way of running until it sputters is just trying to eliminate a messy pan drop. Your not running the pump dry. There is still a little left in the pan when it’s dropped. You won’t get 100% of old oil out but I replaced about 10 of the 12 quarts with amsoil. Close enough for me. I’m coming up on 20k miles after change and have no issues. I am going to remove as much as I can through dipstick and replace with fresh Amsoil. I’ll replace exactly what comes out. I do this stone cold. This way oil is the same temp. Color still is cherry red and I’m sure amsoil can go an easy 100k miles but for peace of mind I’ll do it. It’s cheap insurance in my eyes. 60 bucks max for oil.

RLC2020

Reaction score
I know I'm resurrecting a 5 month old thread here, but does anyone have a recommendation on where to get the Amsoil atf other than on their website? I was hoping to pick some up on my way home today and get this service done that I've been putting off. I have 59k miles on my XL and figure it's time for trans/transfer case/ diff fluid changes. Total quarts needed to flush trans and transfer case?

Do you guys recommend just pumping the fluid out and replacing with new, or should I drop the pan and do the filter as well? Not sure if my mileage dictates a filter replacement or not. I'm also going to tap and plug my trans t-stat while I'm in there. South Florida weather means I don't have to worry about it ever being too cold.

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I'm resurrecting a 5 month old thread here, but does anyone have a recommendation on where to get the Amsoil atf other than on their website? I was hoping to pick some up on my way home today and get this service done that I've been putting off. I have 59k miles on my XL and figure it's time for trans/transfer case/ diff fluid changes. Total quarts needed to flush trans and transfer case?

Do you guys recommend just pumping the fluid out and replacing with new, or should I drop the pan and do the filter as well? Not sure if my mileage dictates a filter replacement or not. I'm also going to tap and plug my trans t-stat while I'm in there. South Florida weather means I don't have to worry about it ever being too cold.
I have always ordered from the website. I don’t know if any stores that carry it. There may be a few but I’m sure it’s marked up. If your going through the effort of changing the fluid I would drop the pan, change the filter, clean the magnet and pan this way your getting any of the fine metals out. Amsoil is def the way to go. I have had no issues. I recently did a 5qt exchange through the dipstick and sent a sample to blackston. Came back excellent. Everything in line and I have almost 50k now on the trans. Maybe overkill but it’s 50 bucks and an hour of my time. Well worth it in my opinion

Thrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you brought this thread back. Reminded me I need to swap the fluids in the front and rear differentials.

RLC2020

Reaction score
I ordered 3 gallons of signiture series ATF and 4 quarts of severe gear fluid. Should be enough to swap everything over. I'll be getting an oem filter for the trans before I swap the fluids as well. $250 for fluids (and that's with the discount). Ouch!

RLC2020

Reaction score
OEM trans filter, or is the carquest from autozone alright to use? My GM dealer is a 30min drive and I'm feeling lazy. I don't trust anything from amazon to be genuine so I'm putting anything from there in my trans.

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go OEM. I just don’t trust the aftermarket ones especially in something not easily accessed like the trans. Not saying after market is bad. Just me.

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ I agree. Advance was able to order the AC delco OEM filter for me.
When I changed the rear end oil I sprayed the entire gear and housing down with brake cleaner because even though it’s drained there is a black film still left on the gears and housing. I left it for about 30 min to evaporate and anything little bit standing in the bottom I just soaked up with a rag. Also there is a magnet on the bottom of the housing. It’s attached so just make sure that’s clean. If you have. A front diff I drained mine and sprayed cleaner from the top hole around the way around and let it drain and evaporate as well. It might be overkill but I figure why not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz