2015 Suburban Transmission fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thebaum

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a newish to me 2015 Suburban with about 125k miles. It feels like the transmission might be slipping a little bit from time to time, but seems to be getting a little more frequent. As far as I know, the transmission fluid hasnt been changed. I checked it and it wasnt really low. I am planning on draining the fluid and replacing the filter. I was thinking about using Amsoil tranny fluid as I hear thats the best but my question is, is it worth using at this point? I'd hate to drop $200+ worth of fluid only for the tranny to go out shortly. But if it might help, Im willing to do it.
Thanks in advance

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First, drop the pan and look at what's on the bottom. If you have a large amt of clutch material, put the pan back on with a few bolts and yank it out for overhaul.

Any slippage is no good and fluid changing or "trans fix in a bottle" isnt fixing it.

What gear or gears are you feeling/observing the slippage?

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

thebaum

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First, drop the pan and look at what's on the bottom. If you have a large amt of coutch material, put the pan back on with a few bolts and yank it out for overhaul.

Any slippage is no good and fluid changing or "trans fix in a bottle" isnt fixing it.

What gear or gears are you feeling/observing the slippage?
The slippage I'm noticing is from 1st to 2nd gear. So if there's a bunch of stuff in the pan just go for the rebuild now?

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The slippage I'm noticing is from 1st to 2nd gear. So if there's a bunch of stuff in the pan just go for the rebuild now?
Yep. Your 1-2-3-4 or 2-6 clutch is worn and/or 1-2-3-4 piston beginning to crack.

Check out my 6L80 info thread for a complete list of parts and procedures for overhauling these units (link to it is in my signature) - let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

thebaum

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yep. Your 1-2-3-4 or 2-6 clutch is worn and/or 1-2-3-4 piston beginning to crack.

Check out my 6L80 info thread for a complete list of parts and procedures for overhauling these units (link to it is in my signature) - let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks for the info. I'll look up your thread. If I end up taking it to a shop, anything specific I need to ask in regards to a rebuild? Anything specific to strengthen it?
Again, appreciate the help

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'll look up your thread. If I end up taking it to a shop, anything specific I need to ask in regards to a rebuild? Anything specific to strengthen it?
Again, appreciate the help
You're welcome...check out the "Parts Selection" and "Machine Work" sections of the first post in that thread - all rebuilds must have those parts installed and procedures done (or parts replaced w/new ones as an alternative).

Make sure the converter comes with a thicker converter clutch compared to the factory (.020). My 6L80 rebuilds come with a converter that has a .070 thick BW high energy clutch

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

thebaum

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You're welcome...check out the "Parts Selection" and "Machine Work" sections of the first post in that thread - all rebuilds must have those parts installed and procedures done (or parts replaced w/new ones as an alternative).

Make sure the converter comes with a thicker converter clutch compared to the factory (.020). My 6L80 rebuilds come with a converter that has a .070 thick BW high energy clutch
Sweet. You wouldn't happen to be in Texas would you! Haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900