Attempted car theft need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So someone tried to steal my 03' Tahoe the other night. They popped both door handle locks but managed to not steal of further damage the truck.

I took it to the dealership to get an estimate on repair. I was quoted $900 to replace the lock cylinders and door handles.

Now I know thats red hot ********. Parts online seem to run about $180 online. Besides the cost of painting to color match the new handles, what would be the reason for such a high estimate? Labor is at $150 an hour.

Is there any advice on doing this myself? I figure I'll get the black smooth door handles, (that i don't think I even need) they're like $10-20, some color match paint probably will cost $70 max, and the lock cyclinders are around $90.

I'm told the new guy at the dealership says I need new door handles because the locks were popped in. Has anyone had to do this? Did you need new door handles or just lock cylinders. Seeing as how this guy was "confused" and they had to get back to me multiple times to even provide that piss poor estimate, I have serious doubts about the accuracy of his work.
just put a boot on your rim this will discourage theft

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, they'll just steal the boot. Don't underestimate thieves... (if you know your target is booted, bring a spare wheel and a jack...)
i'll just take my High voltage disconnect, with me in a bad neighborhood...

no switch no start.....xd nothing but a bunch of check engine lights and service hybrid system.... stealth disabled vehicle not sure if someone is willing to mess with 350volts DC..... he would end up zapped.. like a bug zapper but for humans... it ill not work to try aand jump it as the system will CEL and not start if the plug is not installed "correctly"

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotta remember, they arent stealing them running anymore.. These trucks are to hot of a commodity. Someone just hops in, breaks the gear shift lock (3 seconds), and then someone just comes from behind, usually with another stolen TYE (Tahoe, Yukon, Escalade), and pushes it to the nearest dump/chop shop.

I would post a video, but forum rules for noobs....

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Gotta remember, they arent stealing them running anymore.. These trucks are to hot of a commodity. Someone just hops in, breaks the gear shift lock (3 seconds), and then someone just comes from behind, usually with another stolen TYE (Tahoe, Yukon, Escalade), and pushes it to the nearest dump/chop shop.

Pm me the link and I'll post it.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score

this is hy GM started VIN locking parts on the newer trucks most of them are VIN locked

when you try to unlock it at the dealer it comes back "stolen"

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is hy GM started VIN locking parts on the newer trucks most of them are VIN locked

when you try to unlock it at the dealer it comes back "stolen"
If I was a car thief, that wouldn't even stop me.. But I also have a Tech2 with Candi. The system doesn't even check to see if a VIN is in a HOT database, it just recodes a VIN, or reprograms it.

And if you buy a HOT part from eBay, or CL, again, there's no way to check the vin that's in the part to see if its stolen. Unless its a body part that has the VIN tags still in tact. But those are just stickers, so are easily removed.

I'm a GM fan thru and thru... But these TYE were not thought out well in the security realm.. This is the only thing I have found that will SLOW them down...

The old Fashioned Club, or the Maso

Last edited:

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I was a car thief, that wouldn't even stop me.. But I also have a Tech2 with Candi. The system doesn't even check to see if a VIN is in a HOT database, it just recodes a VIN, or reprograms it.

And if you buy a HOT part from eBay, or CL, again, there's no way to check the vin that's in the part to see if its stolen. Unless its a body part that has the VIN tags still in tact. But those are just stickers, so are easily removed.

I'm a GM fan thru and thru... But these TYE were not thought out well in the security realm.. This is the only thing I have found that will SLOW them down...

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Club? You gotta be kidding. All it takes to defeat one is a hacksaw or battery powered angle grinder right through the steering wheel. It takes a minute or two. The Club itself might be hardened steel but the thieves quickly found out steering wheels aren’t.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts