Attempted car theft need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
F

Flingflanger

Reaction score
Looks great. I covered up my passenger side lock too after it got broken out, and removed the rods inside the door. Never used it anyway. Don’t think I’ve ever used the driver side one either but you never know when you need a key although I could always use the one on the hatch.

Thanks. NGL, I really did consider just blocking both sides and crawling through the tailgate if needed in an emergency too. :)

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, thieves hit us again. This time they tried to steal our 2005 Suburban 2500. It's currently in the shop, getting an estimate. For any one interested, Dallas PD was really good for us this morning; they even sent a forensics person to dust the Suburban; when I had the 09/15/2020 attempt, no forensics people were sent. Suburban_Theft Attempt.jpeg

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Well, thieves hit us again. This time they tried to steal our 2005 Suburban 2500. It's currently in the shop, getting an estimate. For any one interested, Dallas PD was really good for us this morning; they even sent a forensics person to dust the Suburban; when I had the 09/15/2020 attempt, no forensics people were sent. View attachment 345997
WTH!!?? Has to be the same scumbags!!
Time for bigger meaner hungry dogs. If the dog is on a thief and chewing, I will lock the door or walk away till I hear the last screams.
His screams would lull me to sleep. I'd sleep like a baby!!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, thieves hit us again. This time they tried to steal our 2005 Suburban 2500. It's currently in the shop, getting an estimate. For any one interested, Dallas PD was really good for us this morning; they even sent a forensics person to dust the Suburban; when I had the 09/15/2020 attempt, no forensics people were sent. View attachment 345997
I’m more interested in the details of the attempt. What did they try and what stopped them?

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m more interested in the details of the attempt. What did they try and what stopped them?
They hit at about the same hour as last time, and the dog may have scared them off, or made them make more mistakes. The knocked the lock cylinder out like they did last time, and destroyed the steering column. They managed to get the Suburban out into the street before giving up. They either busted the shift cable again, or so badly mangled the ignition cylinder that it would not turn any more. Regardless, it was completely blocking the lane in front of my home.

The dog starting going nuts around 5:15 AM, and my sleep-fogged wife and I couldn't wake up enough to understand what was going on. So we got the dog quiet, nodded back off, only to have the dog go nuts again. This time I more fully awakened, and went and looked at the front of the house... Where I found a fire truck parked in front of our house with the lights going, and 2 police cars... Seems someone had called in the road blockage at 5:30 AM; it was about 5:40 AM at this point.

I ran back to my room to actually put pants on... And passing by my 18-year-old's room to make sure she was okay; she was the last driver of the Suburban. I was terrified she had come home really late and had been hit... She let me know she had returned home about 11:30 PM, so i went out and talked to the cops. They were really nice. The cop for the first theft attempt was kind of full of himself...

I actually got a forensic unit this time! After forensics I filed my insurance claim and requested a tow. Tow truck got it to the shop by about 10 AM. My mechanic called my insurance company around noon, I called my insurance company, and I also filed a ticket on their website. Unfortunately, they STILL have not responded. :mad: This is sad because my mechanic already ordered and received the parts he needed to repair my Suburban (he's the one I'm always gushing about, LOL, and he did the repairs to my other two trucks). So now I have to wait on the insurance company to respond, get pictures, and to get an adjuster out before I can get the Suburban repaired. Ugh.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
They hit at about the same hour as last time, and the dog may have scared them off, or made them make more mistakes. The knocked the lock cylinder out like they did last time, and destroyed the steering column. They managed to get the Suburban out into the street before giving up. They either busted the shift cable again, or so badly mangled the ignition cylinder that it would not turn any more. Regardless, it was completely blocking the lane in front of my home.

The dog starting going nuts around 5:15 AM, and my sleep-fogged wife and I couldn't wake up enough to understand what was going on. So we got the dog quiet, nodded back off, only to have the dog go nuts again. This time I more fully awakened, and went and looked at the front of the house... Where I found a fire truck parked in front of our house with the lights going, and 2 police cars... Seems someone had called in the road blockage at 5:30 AM; it was about 5:40 AM at this point.

I ran back to my room to actually put pants on... And passing by my 18-year-old's room to make sure she was okay; she was the last driver of the Suburban. I was terrified she had come home really late and had been hit... She let me know she had returned home about 11:30 PM, so i went out and talked to the cops. They were really nice. The cop for the first theft attempt was kind of full of himself...

I actually got a forensic unit this time! After forensics I filed my insurance claim and requested a tow. Tow truck got it to the shop by about 10 AM. My mechanic called my insurance company around noon, I called my insurance company, and I also filed a ticket on their website. Unfortunately, they STILL have not responded. :mad: This is sad because my mechanic already ordered and received the parts he needed to repair my Suburban (he's the one I'm always gushing about, LOL, and he did the repairs to my other two trucks). So now I have to wait on the insurance company to respond, get pictures, and to get an adjuster out before I can get the Suburban repaired. Ugh.
These insurance companies are amazing! Just don't be late with your premium! They'll drop you in a heart beat!!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'd say you're lucky for sure.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
When I ran shops I had to deal with waiting on insurance adjusters for the extended warranties. Now days, the pics should suffice but as I have said in extended warranty threads and other insurance company threads. Insurance companies want to keep money and not pay it out, PERIOD! They will do what they can to do that.

For instance, they are hoping you say, "Fix the damn thing because I need it done or fix it because you think they will cover anyway". Then they say, no go!

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the agent assigned to my case called my mechanic first, and asked him for pictures, then called me. Fortunately my mechanic doesn't mind doing stuff like that -- or charge extra for it. So, theoretically, she got pictures today, and is assigning someone to review them today, or tomorrow morning. It's really sad, it's like 6 hours work, my mechanic has not only ordered all the parts, but has received them, and so we are now waiting on insurance ok -- that is the only thing we are waiting on. And effing I'll be surprised if we get it back on Friday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts