at home engine replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have been waiting for a nice low miles ride to come my way but I'm starting to think it might be more realistic to buy a high miles rig on the cheap and just plan to replace the engine fairly quickly, possibly transmission too. Did I mention I have never worked on cars before? But... I am a prototype machinist at a mechanical engineering company so I believe that gives me an advantage. I really want to be that guy that knows about and works on his car.. not another clueless millennial with a hybrid that only knows how to push the start button.

I guess my question is who has done it and how did it play out for you?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well Kevan, how bout you find a truck first and then determine what needs fixin' first? You're going to need basic tools, specialized tools, a place to work on it, a place to keep all the parts organized, another car to make runs to the store and machine shop and a shop manual at minimum.

So what have you been looking at since that last one?

OP
OP
Squirrelsmith

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have all the above except of course specialized tools and the manual. I have been searching online several times a day for a clean one in my general area. seems one or two a day pop up on craigslist, usually high miles. really my only must haves are I want a straight body, decent paint, tailgate and I would really like the gray leather interior. I'm willing to take on all other problems over time. It's got to run too... if it doesn't my wife will not be impressed haha

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a short block from a local autoshop or autoparts is going to bring more satisfaction.....

pistnbroke88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Altho I admire your courage and overall tenacity towards doing a manly man task and breaking the dreaded millennial mold (being 29 myself) as a machinist surely you have not overlooked the giant logistics challenge that goes into a swap i.e. Tools, time so on. But let me sum up your sentence you want a truck with low miles but are now willing to buy a high miles truck and if needs be swap the powertrain. Your telling me you cant find anything with low miles? what is your idea of low miles? Also some high mileage trucks run as good as low mileage trucks its all about maintenance would you rather have a truck with 200K that has been pampered or one that has had an 18yo heavy footed kid but has 60K.
_rebuilding an engine, however, is a religious experience.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have built more than a few engines over the years and it is a great sense of accomplishment. Have not done an LS yet, my specialty was V6 Buicks.

OP
OP
Squirrelsmith

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have no plans of re building anything. just pull out dead engine and replace with 300+ hp crate engine.

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your line of work has no correlation with what your thought process is, as the old saying goes, FORGET ABOUT IT.
I in no way want to discourage you, but it's a big task.

David g...........:2cents:

99tahoecolorado

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i have no plans of re building anything. just pull out dead engine and replace with 300+ hp crate engine.

Is this even real? You want a running Tahoe, but want to replace the engine just so you can learn how to work on a vehicle?

Find one you like & buy it. Learn how to give it a tune up, & start fixing all the little things 20 year old Tahoes have. Watch YouTube videos, do research, read forums.. This will get you in touch with your truck.

mals

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...some high mileage trucks run as good as low mileage trucks its all about maintenance would you rather have a truck with 200K that has been pampered or one that has had an 18yo heavy footed kid but has 60K.

Is this even real? You want a running Tahoe, but want to replace the engine just so you can learn how to work on a vehicle?

Find one you like & buy it. Learn how to give it a tune up, & start fixing all the little things 20 year old Tahoes have. Watch YouTube videos, do research, read forums.. This will get you in touch with your truck.

I agree with both of the points. I purchased my Yukon with 156K and no maintenance history. It had its issues that I could see when I bought it. Over the next year I tackled those repairs one at a time in order of safety, scheduled maintenance, and then performance. Most of those were accomplished with the help of this forum and the endless supply of how-to videos for our various GMT platforms. I know that one day I will likely have to rebuild/replace my engine and/or transmission, but the skills (and toolbox) I developed working on general repairs and maintenance up to that point will be ready when that day comes. Look for one that you like with a good body and decent interior, and all the mechanical issues regardless of mileage can be addressed over time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kentf3