Arrgh..........

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Goodinblack

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not according to Wikipedia ^^^^^^^^^^

Production 1982–1993
Assembly

Moraine, Ohio, United States
Shreveport, Louisiana, United States
Pontiac, Michigan

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
Also from your source, ”The first compact truck from General Motors was the rebadged Isuzu KB sold since 1972 as the Chevrolet LUV.” It then goes on to talk about production being shifted to the U.S. due to the 1973 oil embargo. Look at the drivetrain list. Most of the stuff in the truck was Isuzu. Isuzu peroxides the 1.9 and one other engine. Iirc, 3 of the transmissions were also sourced by Isuzu.

Also consider the following. At the time the S10/Sonoma/Hombre was being built GM owned 49% of Isuzu. Additionally, Geo existed at the same time. As everybody knows, almost all Geos were built by imports and sold in the U.S. as a domestic vehicle. The only exception would be the Chevy Spectra, which was sold as the Geo Spectra simultaneously, iirc, for 2 years only. The truck wasn't the only vehicle Isuzu was making for GM. The Geo Storm was made by Isuzu, and based on the Isuzu Stylus, however these 2 vehicles had less in common than all the other Geos. The storm never came with AWD or a turbocharged engine. As for the rest of the Geos, the Prism/Prizm was a Corolla, the Metro was a Suzuki Swift, and the Tracker was a Samari. GM didn't stop there. The truck relationship is still ongoing today. The Colorado/Canyon is still an Isuzu today, even though GM managed to kill Isuzu in the U.S. Ironically, when GM did that the Trailblazer/Envoy/Rainier/9-7X/Ascender also disappeared. Those SUVs were replacements for the S10 Blazer/Jimmy.

It is through partial ownership that GM has been able to build such a variety of cars. Case in point: Pontiac Fiero. It was a GM car that was built with input and resources from Lotus (who also helped Toyota build the MR2 at the same time) and utilized Isuzu transmissions for the 4 speed auto and 4 speed manual. Another partnership was Saab and Subaru. That brought around the Saab 9-2X (Saabaru). Ironically, GM still works closely with Toyota. That's why when GM sold it's 20% share of Fuji Heavy Industries (Subarus parent company) Toyota magically ended up with it. Now we're seeing the fruition of that through the Scion FRS and Subaru BRZ. Let's not forget Hummer, Opel, Vauxhall, Honda, Monero, etc.

I could go on. I haven't fully covered GM and haven't even begun with Ford/Mazda/Volvo/Jaguar/Land Rover/Volkswagon (how Henry Ford wasn't convicted of war crimes escapes me)/Aston Martin/etc. or Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Kia/Hyundai/Volkswagon/etc. And, how all 3 of The Big 3 can be tied into BMW.

Last edited:

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Such expensive vehicles with such a stupid design flaw... I love GM but damn they sure know how to disappoint.

WaGuns

Reaction score
Hmmm.. Summary:

Live in an area with a lot sun, hot weather and heavy UV exposure = Dash Crack..

I guess I FINALLY found one reason why it's good to live in WA. No worry about sun over exposure here.

OP
OP
Goodinblack

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Domin8...you are a man-a-pedia.

I did realize the GM Isuzu relationship. After all that the Duramax is a Isuzu engine too. I remember the the LUV. Anyway, So I never bought a car with a foreign nameplate. How's that:Handshake:

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Domin8...you are a man-a-pedia.

I did realize the GM Isuzu relationship. After all that the Duramax is a Isuzu engine too. I remember the the LUV. Anyway, So I never bought a car with a foreign nameplate. How's that:Handshake:

Well, I'm not even sure that the 83-93 S-10's were Isuzu's. I know that they 94-03's were, though.

OP
OP
Goodinblack

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm not even sure that the 83-93 S-10's were Isuzu's. I know that they 94-03's were, though.

That is what I thought too. ^^^^^^^^^^^

It didn't "feel imported" at all. Actually, I am sure it was a GM made, because it too had a cracked dash.:lol2:

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is what I thought too. ^^^^^^^^^^^

It didn't "feel imported" at all. Actually, I am sure it was a GM made, because it too had a cracked dash.:lol2:

:lol2: Mine didn't have a cracked dash when I sold it in '99 but the way the next owner treated it I'm sure it probably developed one along with the custom dents and rust holes that were put in it :whyme: that was irritating to watch it being let go like that after so much work I'd put into it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
35thpewterz