Anyone use wifi cameras in there Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

totalpackage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2010 LT has no stock camera and i was going to add a rear camera...wouldnt mind adding a front if available. Any suggestion? I see many versions on ebay but not sure of the lifetime dependability of those.

OP
OP
totalpackage

totalpackage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any reason why you want to use wifi rather than a traditional wired one? These cars are easy to run wires in
Curious what folks are trying. Wifi to a phone seems to be a popular item for sale online but i would love to see any installs on what folks are using here.

OP
OP
totalpackage

totalpackage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im still looking for my back up camera deal which of course gets financially deeper as i see more options. I have a standard Bose stereo, no bells or whistles other than rear passengers can mute volume, i have steering wheel volume control and the usb in console. After looking at the double din recievers with options of interface and camera optional, i might head that route. My main question to this is...Can the Pioneer/Alpine or whatever that claim interfacing truly control all the stuff that the factory does? ..or does some of your factory options get lost? I have the 2010 LT1

Bart Hinder

Reaction score
RANT ON:
WTF are manufacturers thinking? Really stupid idea to run door chimes, etc through the GD OEM radio! In my SIL's Pontiac, even the DIC was tied to the head unit! Makes it really $$$$$$ to upgrade. You'll likely need a SWC module and some other bits.
RANT OFF.

The installer at Fry's talked me out of the WIFI backup camera. Evidently it takes a minute or two for everything to link up. I'd recommend going hard-wired.

You might want to check out Best Buy's "Total Tech Support" deal. It's $200, but it will get you free installation on a bunch of stuff regardless of where you buy it, and for all your cars. They charge $100 just for doing the backup camera, so that was an easy decision for me. They will also replace the OEM unit for free when you go to sell your car (even without the Total Tech deal).

OP
OP
totalpackage

totalpackage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RANT ON:
WTF are manufacturers thinking? Really stupid idea to run door chimes, etc through the GD OEM radio! In my SIL's Pontiac, even the DIC was tied to the head unit! Makes it really $$$$$$ to upgrade. You'll likely need a SWC module and some other bits.
RANT OFF.

The installer at Fry's talked me out of the WIFI backup camera. Evidently it takes a minute or two for everything to link up. I'd recommend going hard-wired.

You might want to check out Best Buy's "Total Tech Support" deal. It's $200, but it will get you free installation on a bunch of stuff regardless of where you buy it, and for all your cars. They charge $100 just for doing the backup camera, so that was an easy decision for me. They will also replace the OEM unit for free when you go to sell your car (even without the Total Tech deal).
Yes, I have put so many stereos in cars and trucks through out my life. The last 2 times i recall telling myself "im not doing this again". Being 6'2 does not help either. So i was looking over the Best Buy website and saw the options and did see you must buy additional equipment to make things work but does it work in the way you expect it? They offer free install on most units now and what i see with the options i like are $300. Not including the Camera which i guess is where the $200. geek sqat install comes into play...plus camera price. I hate the thought of others doing what i have similarly done in the past...and having to pay for it.

Bart Hinder

Reaction score
Yes, I have put so many stereos in cars and trucks through out my life. The last 2 times i recall telling myself "im not doing this again". Being 6'2 does not help either. So i was looking over the Best Buy website and saw the options and did see you must buy additional equipment to make things work but does it work in the way you expect it? They offer free install on most units now and what i see with the options i like are $300. Not including the Camera which i guess is where the $200. geek sqat install comes into play...plus camera price. I hate the thought of others doing what i have similarly done in the past...and having to pay for it.

Yeah, I'm too old to be crawling around under the dash anymore.

I had the Jensen VX7020 in my Tahoe. Nice unit for $250 plus $25 for the camera. I liked it better than the $600 Pioneer I got for the Yukon. The interface was a lot more intuitive. The Pioneer doesn't have a true GPS but you can mirror cast the Maps app on your smartphone to the head unit screen. Of course you're screwed if you in an area that doesn't have 4G, but it's $200 cheaper than the true GPS. I wanted a mech-less unit but couldn't find one. All I really want is hands-free, backup cam, gps, and Pandora.

The only issue with the Pioneer was I had to install the parking brake bypass to get the mirror cast to work the way I wanted it to. (No, I'm not gonna watch a DVD while I'm driving.) And for some reason the installer snipped the loop and disabled the parking guidance lines on the camera. That part of the cable was inside the tail light housing so it literally took five minutes to correct that.

The OEM unit lowers the volume when you slow down and raises it when you speed up (at least my '04 had that feature). You'll lose that.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RANT ON:
RANT OFF.

<SNIP>

That's so when the radio dies, the car goes into permanent limp mode, and you have to trade it in to get down the road again. Planned obsolescence FTW!! :mad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900