Anyone tow HEAVY with a Yukon XL Denali?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toby McElravey

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We had a 2007 Denali XL that we loved and towed a Centurion wakesurf boat that came in close to 8k lbs. It did fine for short trips, but we had problems on long trips when we were more loaded with gear and going over hills/elevation. We over heated more than once. We ended up selling it and getting a Ford Expedition EL. It has more towing capacity and gets better gas mileage. My wife thinks the ride is smoother too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heidencbr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yikes, will it go uphill with a headwind?

The only issues I’ve had, have been the awful fuel gas mileage. It pulls fine otherwise. Granted, I’ve never been in any mountainous terrain yet and not sure I’d want to be lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had a 2007 Denali XL that we loved and towed a Centurion wakesurf boat that came in close to 8k lbs. It did fine for short trips, but we had problems on long trips when we were more loaded with gear and going over hills/elevation. We over heated more than once. We ended up selling it and getting a Ford Expedition EL. It has more towing capacity and gets better gas mileage. My wife thinks the ride is smoother too.

What year Expedition EL did y'all get?

Reaction score
My 2012 rides so much better than my 2001

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
Yeah, those tow 9,200 pounds with the tow package. I wonder how enduring that little twin turbo V6 will be doing all that work under load compared with a naturally aspirated V8 with more cubic inches? Keep us posted.

a guy at work tows a 9k lb travel trailer with one of those twin turbo v6's in a quad cab 150. I have seen all the test's and they do pull like a mother f'er. It uses a really effective 10 spd trans to do it. when he is boosted/climbing/headwind he is at 7.5 mpg, he claims he can do 65 mph in any situation but im just waiting for the "hey man it blew up" story. i just dont see it as being long lived. Our denali gets 8 mpg towing 5,200 tt. I swear RV'ing is the most expensive way of having fun because of fuel prices.

fireboat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 28' center console boat with twin 200 outboards. The boat and trailer with fuel are about 7500lbs.
My 2008 Yukon XL Denali 2WD does fine with it on the flat lands of South Florida and the Keys. It sags just slightly.
But, I think 9K would be pushing it for regular towing. Twice a year for short trips may be okay if you have good trailer brakes, but the rear will probably be sagging.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65