Anyone tow HEAVY with a Yukon XL Denali?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I mean heavy, I mean like 9000 lbs. I know its over the tow rating, don't need lectures.

I just need peoples experience with towing a heavy load with a Denali XL either 4wd or AWD. I know power is not the issue its brakes and suspension.

Just towed my 35 Donzi ZF 39 miles with my Duramax. It does fine, I'm hoping a Denali XL can handle it.IMG_2326 small.jpg

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year Denali? Most are AWD. Can’t speak to that heavy but I’d think the hitch set up is critical. Is this going to happen often? Hills? If often a weight disturbing hitch and another trans cooler may be in order. My boat only weighs half that.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a tune if you dont have one maybe a specific adjustment for shifting. i dont know about your specific year but you could also check into the option of better shift servos. faster quicker shifts with heavy loads will be a big benefit. as far as power you will probably feel that weight on hills but again your big concern should be your transmission.

OP
OP
avalonandl

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at flat land here in michigan. Trans on the years im looking at is the 6L90 . twice a year....

Looking at 07-09, or a 2500 in 08-09 ( much rarer)

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Yukon John @40offshr

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/trt-tow-rig-tuesday-show-what-ya-tow.104437/#post-1242802

GM made lots of 2500s you just have to keep an eye out for them. Ebay had a great many for sale recently at once. If you go 2010+ you get the L96 and can run FlexFuel in it.

In 2010, GMC made a Yukon XL SLT 1500 4x4 with the L9H 6.2 and the 9.5 rear axle, so you get the big motor and true 4x4 to stick her in 4LO to muscle out of those slippery ramps.

The 6L90 was only used in the 2500s.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
i would think with the right distribution hitch "properly setup" you would have no problem with towing on flat/level as there is very little wind resistance with your boat. Is it designed to do it, NO, But Denali XL's are so quiet and comfortable that getting to/from the water will be so much nicer! F' it, get one! Can you lower the bimini/shade for towing? IMO aerodynamics is more critical than weight on flat/level gorund.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know no lectures... But you're not thinking of others on the road. Here in Colorado we just had an incident where a truck lost his brakes and plowed through a bunch of stopped cars, killing people. If a vehicle isn't rated for a high tow rating, it's usually because of brakes and frame strength. I can't believe this idea is even being entertained quite honestly.

bfourman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was in the same quandary last year, ended up taking the high road and finding a 2500 so I have the extra safety margin. They are out there, Asia Motors on eBay sells ex-.gov 2500s all the time or you can get lucky like I did (if you’re willing to travel) and find a nice loaded out LT.

09 2500 6.0/6L90

9b35ddacad15815478122ce00358ebb2.jpg

In my younger days I had a towing incident with an inadequate tow rig and I swore never again. Even the ‘modern’ 1/2ton trucks that are rated for more towing than my 3/4ton Burb I don’t trust.

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive done 7k in my 12 burb 1500 with a 5.3 and 3.08 gears.. The xl burb platform does well trailering surprisingly.. The longer wheel base helps... Tongue weight is the key for keeping her stable... I would step up to 2500 if I had the option due to the 6.0 and little stiffer suspension. But the denalli is a good bang for the buck mid weight hitter. I really think the axle ratios are key to keeping things in line. 3.42 would be ok, 3.73 is better and normally in the 4wd models. My experience with 7k on my 2wd... I had a bit too much tongue weight, rear felt a smidge washy in corners, but took it slower and worked out fine. The Donzi has a lot of its weight on the axles and tongue weight is a lot more manageable. I am guessing the trailer has hydraulic brakes? Make sure they are in good working condition. The extra torque of the 6.2 or 6.0 is a beautiful thing towing, your main hurdles to work with are trans, and suspension and brakes.. Trans lock it in 4th gear with tow haul on... I agree with previous post of a tune to help quicken the shifts, it cuts down on trans heat a lot... Its not going to pull like the Duramax but for a suv it will tow better than 99% of the market right now. If your wanting to tow with it more often, I suggest a sway bar upgrade on front and rear. Helps plant the suspension. tires need to be aired up for the extra weight. Id put 40-44 in the rear tires that should be max pressure if I am right... I think you will find that its a very capable vehicle... Just don't expect to win any races towing but will do fine. The highway manners are good, a sway bar would help in sweeping corners where you can feel the load lightly push you. I was more confident in my burb with 7k on it than most of the stuff I have towed with, just needed more power down low, had to run the 5.3 to 3500 on the shifts to be in power band... I hope this helps bud.