Anyone tow HEAVY with a Yukon XL Denali?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Yukon John @40offshr

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/trt-tow-rig-tuesday-show-what-ya-tow.104437/#post-1242802

GM made lots of 2500s you just have to keep an eye out for them. Ebay had a great many for sale recently at once. If you go 2010+ you get the L96 and can run FlexFuel in it.

In 2010, GMC made a Yukon XL SLT 1500 4x4 with the L9H 6.2 and the 9.5 rear axle, so you get the big motor and true 4x4 to stick her in 4LO to muscle out of those slippery ramps.

The 6L90 was only used in the 2500s.

That part I bolded in red, not really. According to my build sheet, in 2008 GM built 5,678 2500 trucks. Compared to the 50k+ half-ton trucks, that's a drop in the bucket.

There's a very narrow demographic of folks that wanted/needed a 6+ passenger heavy-duty (or at least non light duty) tow vehicle, which is why GM killed them after 2013.

To the OP - could you tow the boat with a Denali XL? Sure. For 40 miles twice a year it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

If it was me, here's what I'd do to prepare:
I'd make sure the brakes on the trailer working at peak performance. Manually activating the brake controller should lock one or more wheels of the trailer.
Keep the speed as low as feasible to reduce stress on the rear axle. Avoid highway driving if possible. Speed=heat=bad things happening

From a mileage standpoint, a Denali XL isn't going to be any better than a 2500. Denalis are a dime a dozen, and 2500s are unicorns. But a 2500 is almost 1000 lbs heavier than a Denali XL, and that weight will help keep the tail from wagging the dog. Plus, the added durability of the 2500 should keep maintenance costs down. My '08 2500 has 190k miles, and I've put about $200 total into it over the last five years, not counting fluid changes. Note in my sig that I also have an '09 Sierra Denali, which is virtually identical to an XL Denali, so I do have some basis for reference. I've owned the Suburban longer, but I have several thousand dollars of repairs into the Denali - primarily front wheel hubs, front half-shaft, etc. If I had to pick one, I'd pick the 2500 every time.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the answer is in your comment that you do not need lectures. It can be very dangerous going over the rating while opening yourself to lawsuits. I am not sure if i missed it but are needing more seats than your Duramax offers or what is your reasoning for wanting to move to the Denali?

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the answer is in your comment that you do not need lectures. It can be very dangerous going over the rating while opening yourself to lawsuits. I am not sure if i missed it but are needing more seats than your Duramax offers or what is your reasoning for wanting to move to the Denali?
Not to mention illegal.

Here’s a nice site to reference legal tow ratings. http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-towing-guides/

OP
OP
avalonandl

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can sell my 2015 Duramax for 40k, buy a used 2500/Denali etc for say 12-14k. Thats 25 k in my pocket. I don't use the Duramax that much. If you look at my avatar you see a Avalanche 2500 (rated to tow 12k) with a 31 ft. offshore cat. Believe me I know how to tow. The 2500's are hard to find. Asia Motors does have 2500's- at premium prices. I found a 2500 online in Chicago but the carfax shows alot of work on differentials, brakes etc. Means used hard. Others are here and there.

Donzi has a triple axle trailer with surge brakes. May look at renting a dually if I have to.

I have religiously studied the tow ratings and in fact have downloaded the relevant years.

And I get it, I'm THAT GUY asking the stupid question.....

Heidencbr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When I mean heavy, I mean like 9000 lbs. I know its over the tow rating, don't need lectures.

I just need peoples experience with towing a heavy load with a Denali XL either 4wd or AWD. I know power is not the issue its brakes and suspension.

Just towed my 35 Donzi ZF 39 miles with my Duramax. It does fine, I'm hoping a Denali XL can handle it.View attachment 225278

I don't have the XL, but I have a 2016 Denali shorty and I tow a 32' TT that weighs 8500lbs with no issues