Anyone Tow a Car with U-Haul Auto Transport Trailer???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife asked me today if we could tow our daughter's car instead of having her drive it when we take her to college.

U-Haul says they do not use nor recommend a WD hitch because of the design of trailer they use and say that the Weight Carrying Hitch rating must be 5000 pounds minimum.

Well, as you know, that's our maximum for these 1500 SUVs without the WD hitch. My WD hitch rating is 7900. Hitch capacities are 600/1000 respectively.

The car and trailer would put me just under 5200 pounds and that's before she loads up the kitchen sink to decorate and outfit her dorm room.

What say you guys? Should I rent a dolly instead and buy magnet mount lights?

Reaction score
I have an 18' dual axle car trailer with 7k lbs capacity. It's not aluminum, but steel with wood floor planks and weighs about 1200 lbs. I've towed my 3300 lbs mustang many times with my 2001 without a weight distributing hitch, just a ball mount.

The furthest I've gone was from St. Louis to Indianapolis and The 01 Yukon with the 5.3 was filled with luggage and a cooler. The front of the trailer had a pretty heavy duty pop up canopy and weights strapped to the front a couple feet in front of the mustang. It pulled it fine (have a brake controller also). I think these 900's have a greater tow rating than my 800 did.

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So first, uhaul can f@*k themselves. They dont support or suggest anything because they dont understand, well, anything.

These are the same yackoffs that didnt allow explorers to rent trailers because of the tire issues they had. I had non-oem Cooper tires, and they refused to let me rent a small motorcycle trailer. Completely ridiculous. I would rent it, leave, put on your WDH, and go on your way. Those ********* dont know their ass from a hole in the ground.

Reaction score
I believe the U-haul trailers are equipped with surge brakes, not electric. With this setup on the trailer tongue, you may not be able to use a weight distribution hitch.

What kind of vehicle do you want to haul with it?

I used one of their dollies one time years before I had my own trailer to tow an ****** that had broken down to my home about 15 miles away. It did fine also.

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I rented one a few times James. Both times to get my daughters Volvo which is rwd so no dolly. The trailer is very well balanced though at first it feels tongue heavy. Once loaded it balanced well with no problems on a 350 mile one way trip.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They dont support or suggest anything because they dont understand, well, anything...

So tell us how you really feel Derick! Yes, some of those folks are mighty ignorant.

I believe the U-haul trailers are equipped with surge brakes, not electric. With this setup on the trailer tongue, you may not be able to use a weight distribution hitch.

What kind of vehicle do you want to haul with it?

Yes, the ones I've seen have surge brakes and 4 pin connector.

A Kia Spectra, just shy of 3,000 pounds before luggage. About 550 miles one way.

I rented one a few times James. Both times to get my daughters Volvo which is rwd so no dolly. The trailer is very well balanced though at first it feels tongue heavy. Once loaded it balanced well with no problems on a 350 mile one way trip.

Did you pull it with your Yukon?

U haul will work but check the tires and brake resevoir first.....

Yes! There's no spare trailer tire so they have to be checked thoroughly.

Kee Fuller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you brought this up. I moving put east next year and i wanted to tow one of those trailers behind my truck

Kee Fuller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, does anybody know if our tahoes will fit on one of those auto transports? Id love to tow my truck vs driving it across the country