Anyone Tow a Car with U-Haul Auto Transport Trailer???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

09Tahoe4Now

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually used three of the u-haul auto transports and the information received from the rental agents was not accurate at all. I actually went onto the lots, gathered all the information myself, a little online research, called some reputable trailer places and finally rented them. We had a Yukon towing a Mitsubishi 3000 GT SL, Expedition towing a Mustang and a U-haul truck towing a Chrysler 300C. We had ZERO issues that they claimed we’d run into. Although we did add the insurance just in case. If I had time I would have purchased three auto transports and sold two at the end of the trip—would have broke even or made a small profit with the market we relocated to.

@Kee Fuller if you have the time, consider purchasing a dual tandem 5200lb auto hauler prior to the move with the intent to sell. It may be an option but as Swathdiver stated the u-haul auto transports won’t work. I’d consider a WDH if trailering an SUV sitting that high. Good luck.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
550 miles? That will be a lot more abuse on your truck than her car. Why not just drive it? It would be a good experience for her, and a perfect way to do it if you're shadowing her.

My daughter is entering her senior year of college 600 miles away. She takes the Denali. First two years we went out with her in a separate vehicle, last year my wife rode with her and then flew back. Long road trips will give newer drivers some great experience driving on the interstates.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
550 miles? That will be a lot more abuse on your truck than her car. Why not just drive it? It would be a good experience for her, and a perfect way to do it if you're shadowing her.

My daughter is entering her senior year of college 600 miles away. She takes the Denali. First two years we went out with her in a separate vehicle, last year my wife rode with her and then flew back. Long road trips will give newer drivers some great experience driving on the interstates.

That's exactly what I was thinking and planning until I started getting the sob stories about not spending time together. They can ride together! LOL

It certainly doesn't make sense from a financial standpoint either. Thanks again Bill.

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d hunt around for a non chain rental place. There are some nice alloy trailers out there and probably won’t cost much more than the uhaul (and have electric brakes)

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my 99 developed a crack in the torque converter hub and puked trans fluid all over, I rented a Uhaul. Can’t use a WDH with surge but my 7.3 PSD towed it no problem.....of course it’s overkill but my current 13 Tahoe could have handled it in the AZ mountains with some sweat. It fit with a few inches to spare, and that was with 20” wheels that stuck out a little.

zMjNpyf.jpg

Kee Fuller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my 99 developed a crack in the torque converter hub and puked trans fluid all over, I rented a Uhaul. Can’t use a WDH with surge but my 7.3 PSD towed it no problem.....of course it’s overkill but my current 13 Tahoe could have handled it in the AZ mountains with some sweat. It fit with a few inches to spare, and that was with 20” wheels that stuck out a little.

zMjNpyf.jpg

The nnbs must be heavier. This is excatly what i want to do with a uhaul box truck towing my rig

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan