Anyone put a roof rack on yet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CRBANDIT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Roof Rack Platform installed!!!! After doing tons of research and internet surfing. I found a rack that worked for my new Tahoe. I found a post of the 2022 Chevy Tahoe Z71 Overlanding Concept. https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/11/2022-chevy-tahoe-z71-overlanding-concept-debuts-at-sema/

I saw that they used the OEM roof rails to hold up the tent. Then it got me thinking about getting a Rack Platform for 2021 Tahoe.
Rhino and Front Runner make a platform rack, but the said they are not compatible. Rhino you have to used their Backbone and they don't have to for the Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade. Yakima makes a platform that connects to your existing OEM rails. So I purchase the biggest one they had which was 84" by 49". Since the platform is 7 feet long, they require you to have 3 roof rack bars. Unfortunately they only sell cross bars in pairs, so I had to purchase 4 of them (I have 1 cross bar to sell, if someone wants to go this route). Also the YAKIMA platform has life time warranty, unlike Rhino and Front Runner, so also a plus. I picked up the folding Rhino Platform Ladder that is compatible with the YAKIMA one. There is some wind noise, so I am trying to find the best Wind Fairing that will work the best for me.
I will take more pictures this weekend, but here a couple quick pics. Taking a 700 mile road trip to the mountain during Xmas, so that will be the true test.
Keller55,

Hello - I am trying to outfit my 2021 Z71 Tahoe with a rooftop tent (which I purchased). I had purchased a set of the GM rooftop rails but as you noted - the Smittybuilt XL Gen2 suggests (3) rails and I hesitated to purchase another pair. Are you still willing to sell your extra rail? I will purchase it from you if still available ASAP. The only issue is we would need to copy the keys so each of us had a set for the split roof top rails.

Feel free to email or call if interested in selling.

I am in the PA (Philadelphia) area.
Thank you,
Christopher
Mobile: 267 784-7024
Email: [email protected]

jonsharp2000

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I feel like some kind of idiot, but I can’t seem to remove my cross rails (OEM 2021 Denali). I am able to unlock them, pull up on the latch but I can’t for the life of me remove the key. If I close the latch and re-lock them the key comes out no problem. Any tips?

Decreed_it

Reaction score
I feel like some kind of idiot, but I can’t seem to remove my cross rails (OEM 2021 Denali). I am able to unlock them, pull up on the latch but I can’t for the life of me remove the key. If I close the latch and re-lock them the key comes out no problem. Any tips?
Key stays in until they are off the car - then close latch, re-lock, remove key

FYI I bit the bullet and got the OEM rails after not finding a suitable after market option. I have to say they are built very well, having used all the major brands for 25+ years, the fit, finish, quality are excellent and, for me at least, probably the easiest roof rail I've ever installed. Yes they're all black and a bit ugly, yes they sit really high, but otherwise, excellent.

Decreed_it

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, I didn’t think there would be enough play unless both sides were loose, I’ll give it another shot. For those still looking for these, I found them for $363 here, https://www.gmpartswarehouse.com/oem-parts/gm-roof-luggage-carrier-cross-rail-kit-85102907
Fair point I haven't removed yet, but, I got 2 keys? Do 1 rail then the other? Funny because install - you do each side of the car - do one side, lock them down, move to other. If you can't do that in reverse that's a bit odd.

userdww

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looking at a few options, not a necessity for me but I generally would rather put gross stuff on the roof than on the inside. Would love to see how they look if someone has already stuck one up there.

Thanks in advance.
Custom...I've moved these from my 2000 Yukon to 2006 Tahoe to 2013 Tahoe, now on 2021. Mods in between...especially for the '21

zrlee

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yakima still doesn't offer cross bars? Anyone know what the holdup is?

Keller55

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Jonsharp2000,

The won't come out unless the latch is closed.
Your not crazy, its something GMC did so you won't accidentally leave it unlatched.

Keller55

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
20220213_171012.jpg
Fabricated a wind fairing because they don't make it for new Tahoe.

Attachments

• 20220213_171017.jpg
    20220213_171017.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 45

the understudy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Roof Rack Platform installed!!!! After doing tons of research and internet surfing. I found a rack that worked for my new Tahoe. I found a post of the 2022 Chevy Tahoe Z71 Overlanding Concept. https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/11/2022-chevy-tahoe-z71-overlanding-concept-debuts-at-sema/

I saw that they used the OEM roof rails to hold up the tent. Then it got me thinking about getting a Rack Platform for 2021 Tahoe.
Rhino and Front Runner make a platform rack, but the said they are not compatible. Rhino you have to used their Backbone and they don't have to for the Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade. Yakima makes a platform that connects to your existing OEM rails. So I purchase the biggest one they had which was 84" by 49". Since the platform is 7 feet long, they require you to have 3 roof rack bars. Unfortunately they only sell cross bars in pairs, so I had to purchase 4 of them (I have 1 cross bar to sell, if someone wants to go this route). Also the YAKIMA platform has life time warranty, unlike Rhino and Front Runner, so also a plus. I picked up the folding Rhino Platform Ladder that is compatible with the YAKIMA one. There is some wind noise, so I am trying to find the best Wind Fairing that will work the best for me.
I will take more pictures this weekend, but here a couple quick pics. Taking a 700 mile road trip to the mountain during Xmas, so that will be the true test.
This is the setup I was exploring actually. Any side profile pictures, less of a low angle? The 3 crossbar is discouraging but makes sense for static weight.
Key stays in until they are off the car - then close latch, re-lock, remove key

FYI I bit the bullet and got the OEM rails after not finding a suitable after market option. I have to say they are built very well, having used all the major brands for 25+ years, the fit, finish, quality are excellent and, for me at least, probably the easiest roof rail I've ever installed. Yes they're all black and a bit ugly, yes they sit really high, but otherwise, excellent.
Completely agree. Yakima, Thule, would have to come out with something comparable in ease because these OEM crossbars are truly the easiest I've ever used. They are stout too, plus the added eyelets for tie-downs was a nice addition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mccubbinsjl