Anyone know about ceramic coatings?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greg_tahoe84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to get my car professionally detailed with a ceramic coating but there are many places with their respective brands they use. Gyeon? Getechniq? System X?

Anyone have any insight on which one I should go? Or does it matter?

https://fortworthceramiccoatings.com/ceramic-coating-fort-worth-texas/ This is the one I am looking at currently. Gets very good google reviews and seems well organized.

I am in the Fort Worth area.

AUTiger13

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I went with Ceramic Pro Gold. Have heard good things about it. Also, you can take it to any Ceramic Pro certified installer for touch ups (free)

Onlyone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do it yourself. It’s easy and you can save yourself a whole lot of money. There is no such thing as a coating lasting 5 years. Even the best graphene or ceramic coating might last a year. Ceramic coating is awesome. Crazy easy to apply and makes washing and breeze. If your vehicle doesn’t need a lot of paint correction, there is no reason to pay those amounts. It’s much easier than any wax to and you can apply it to everything. Windows, trim, molding etc.

Last edited:

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do it yourself. It’s easy and you can save yourself a whole lot of money. There is no such thing as a coating lasting 5 years. Even the best graphene or ceramic coating might last a year. Ceramic coating is awesome. Crazy easy to apply and makes washing and breeze. If your vehicle doesn’t need a lot of paint correction, there is no reason to pay those amounts. It’s much easier than any wax to and you can apply it to everything. Windows, trim, molding etc.
i dont totally disagree with this, but if you dont know or understand how this works or what it does, you can make the vehicle look worse and make it harder for others to fix.

that said, i do believe in coatings for DAILY DRIVERS, not so much for classics or customs as mst people enjoy polishing on those...per say.

the coating itself, helps to level the surface from orange peel ( AND ALL FACTORY PAINT HAS THIS) which gives some UV protection. the coating fills those lows and makes the surface more slick or flat, thus not allowing dirt to build and bind in the lows or crevices.

there are some rally good DIY types, or even the big brand names can be very easy to use...just follow the instructions for cleanliness and cure time.

Last edited:

Shrubs2K2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has PPF installed on the entire front end (A-pillar, front fenders, hood, and front end) plus IGL coating. IMO the coating may be easy to apply, it's the prep work that I know is beyond me. Factory paint on this was terrible and it's now so much better. Plus I can support a small business as he's a one-man deep shop. He does all vehicles from the daily drivers to exotics.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    470.7 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
G

greg_tahoe84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m going to put PPF in the hood/bumper/headlights and then ceramic the whole thing.

Yes I don’t have time to do the whole prep thing so I rather have a professional do it.

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it’s easy to coat it yourself with something like AvalonKing Armor Shield IX, which I have used successfully. But, you can create problems in the finish if you don’t properly prepare the finish & follow all the manufacturer’s application steps to the letter. The biggest problem I have found is letting it sit too long before buffing off the haze. I buff it off within one minute of application. Quickly buff it off as soon as it hazes. Wait too long or miss a spot and it’s difficult to remove the haze.

There are other threads on this forum discussing ceramic coatings.

boba1111

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have had great success with Adam's Polishes. Just completed my Beckett's Black Hyundai Palisade that replaced my 2003 Yukon Denali. The Denali had a Simonize treatment at the dealer before I bought it (2003) and that lasted really well. But there again, it spent the majority of its years in my garage as I used my 2000 Jeep Wrangler as a daily driver.
Follow ALL the directions: 1. Wash/rinse with Adam's Strip Wash, alkaline to remove wax. 2. Decontaminate with Iron wash (brake dust) 3. Clay bar or mitt with Detail Spray as a lube, 4. Compound/Polish with random orbital polisher. If finish is good, only polish. Depends on how many swirls, etc. 5. Surface Prep spray to clean up polish 6. Apply Graphene Ceramic coating and right, about 1-2 minutes see rainbow and remove with Adam's fleece towel. Do not let it get wet for 24 hours and do not wash for 7 days, allow to fully cure.
HTH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertoTahoe2011