Anyone Having Repeat Issues With A 2021 Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade After Replacement Of ALL Lifters?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tahoemn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I bought a 2021 Tahoe Premier 5.3L in January and started having what was later determined to be lifter issues between 4k-5k miles. I drove with the issue until around 6800 miles, because the dealer failed to identify it earlier (despite me bringing in videos on my phone that were pretty unmistakable). After 17 days in the shop, the dealer replaced both sides of lifters. Allegedly, there was no other damage to the engine when they tore it down to do the work. I am skeptical of this and the long-term durability of the engine. I have had my Tahoe back for a few weeks, and so far so good. However, that was the case for the first 4000-5000 miles. I find myself just waiting for the knocking to start again any minute. I don’t even listen to the radio on most drives so that I can hear the engine. I’ve only driven around town so far, putting only about 700 miles on it since the fix. No issues yet, but again pretty scarred/paranoid of repeat issues. I’m trying to get past this, because I love the Tahoe other than my fears around reliability. So here is my question: of those who have had the lifter issues, has anyone had any issues after BOTH sets of lifters were replaced? Much appreciated!
I have had no issues since my 2008 yukon had non-ATM lifters put in!

Sumfknguy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
21 Tahoe 5.3, had one side of lifters replaced at 4K miles. 1 week out the shop the other side went and was replaced. I’m now at 21k miles and have had no issues. Honestly don’t think about it anymore, not nearly as much like when it happened.

Big John

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
From what I’ve been reading it’s between 4,000-8,000 usually but can be as high as 10,000.

One of the other posts talks about a TSB citing build dates of Sept 2020 to March 2021 could be affected.

Mine was built in March and I’ve got 4,000 miles on it so far…hope I continue to not have any issues.
I’m in the same boat as you, my build date was 3-21 also, only 3k miles so far and getting ready for a long trip.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotta say this is all disturbing. My Yukon with 5k miles just had a lifter failure too. Left me stranded 400 miles from home. Local dealer is replacing all 16 lifters. I have to get home so I'm just driving the loaner back. No ETA on the repair because they only have 8 lifters available.

What is causing this issue? Why should I have confidence that I don't have a lemon after the car is returned.
The problem is identified with these engines built before 3/5/2021. There was a bad batch of lifters installed that have a lock pin springs which had improper heat treating. These springs are internal to the DOD/AFM/DFM lifters and are integral in keeping the lifter working properly. When the spring breaks, the lifter collapses and the cylinder with that has a solid misfire.

My dealer had a batch of them with one of their fleet customers vehicles they maintain (customer bought all their trucks at the same time and they got a bunch of the bad lifters, bad luck). My dealer determined pretty quickly that fixing one lifter (per GM initial guidance), or even all in one bank (just one side), didn't eliminate the trucks coming back with lifter problems in another cylinder that wasn't changed. My service advisor (who has been at my dealership for a very long time, we go back to when I first started going there), said it is their policy now to change all 16 when an engine in these date codes comes in with a bad lifter. They haven't had any come back after they adopted the "change all 16" policy.

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m in the same boat as you, my build date was 3-21 also, only 3k miles so far and getting ready for a long trip.

Hopefully you make it back without any issues.
On another one of the message threads here it talked about finding the engine date code...it's not an easy find underneath, but I was able to find the build date of the engine on mine. My vehicle's assembly date is 3/19/2021 according to the dealer, but the date code on the engine comes back to 2/11/2021.

I've currently got 6,300 miles on mine without any issues so far, but most of that has been short trip driving (around town and maybe up to 50-75 miles away from home). I kinda have a feeling that mine is a ticking time bomb, but we'll see. :)

Here's a link to that other thread on how to find your engine build date in case you're curious.
https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...ent-of-all-lifters.129027/page-3#post-1633738

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Hopefully you make it back without any issues.
On another one of the message threads here it talked about finding the engine date code...it's not an easy find underneath, but I was able to find the build date of the engine on mine. My vehicle's assembly date is 3/19/2021 according to the dealer, but the date code on the engine comes back to 2/11/2021.

I've currently got 6,300 miles on mine without any issues so far, but most of that has been short trip driving (around town and maybe up to 50-75 miles away from home). I kinda have a feeling that mine is a ticking time bomb, but we'll see. :)

Here's a link to that other thread on how to find your engine build date in case you're curious.
https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...ent-of-all-lifters.129027/page-3#post-1633738
That link did not work, you may have pasted the wrong link

MSTI

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So far no problem since all lifters have been replaced - that was at 3500 miles - now I have just over 10,000.
I may spoken a bit too soon! Engine light, Traction control, ESC, etc. warning came on tonight after feeling the engine skip a bit. It started chugging but no lifter tap or banging. I left it in a parking lot and I am going to decide if I should try to drive the 18 miles to the dealer in the am. Will post an update.

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may spoken a bit too soon! Engine light, Traction control, ESC, etc. warning came on tonight after feeling the engine skip a bit. It started chugging but no lifter tap or banging. I left it in a parking lot and I am going to decide if I should try to drive the 18 miles to the dealer in the am. Will post an update.
If you're under warranty, I would just drive at wide open throttle all the way to the dealer and hope the engine falls out of the car in the dealership lot to get a replacement engine under warranty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaka1