Anyone Having Repeat Issues With A 2021 Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade After Replacement Of ALL Lifters?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmcdaniel1962

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I bought a 2021 Tahoe Premier 5.3L in January and started having what was later determined to be lifter issues between 4k-5k miles. I drove with the issue until around 6800 miles, because the dealer failed to identify it earlier (despite me bringing in videos on my phone that were pretty unmistakable). After 17 days in the shop, the dealer replaced both sides of lifters. Allegedly, there was no other damage to the engine when they tore it down to do the work. I am skeptical of this and the long-term durability of the engine. I have had my Tahoe back for a few weeks, and so far so good. However, that was the case for the first 4000-5000 miles. I find myself just waiting for the knocking to start again any minute. I don’t even listen to the radio on most drives so that I can hear the engine. I’ve only driven around town so far, putting only about 700 miles on it since the fix. No issues yet, but again pretty scarred/paranoid of repeat issues. I’m trying to get past this, because I love the Tahoe other than my fears around reliability. So here is my question: of those who have had the lifter issues, has anyone had any issues after BOTH sets of lifters were replaced? Much appreciated!
I have 2021 yukon denali.
Had the exact same problem!
Now the vehicle just does not sound right!
Especially when cranking up.
Not happy!!!

Sinraptor75

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Curious about this too. Had just over 10K on 2021 Z71 tahoe. Lifter issues while on vacation in August and 500 miles from home. Dealer replaced all 16 lifters with no questions. Did get a loaner off the lot from them too. Was without for 24 days and did have to go pick it up. I've been assigned a senior advisor at gm but they won't call me back. Just wondering if folks have had the repairs then had to have lifters replaced again? Hopefully one and done?

scottwoyak

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Gotta say this is all disturbing. My Yukon with 5k miles just had a lifter failure too. Left me stranded 400 miles from home. Local dealer is replacing all 16 lifters. I have to get home so I'm just driving the loaner back. No ETA on the repair because they only have 8 lifters available.

What is causing this issue? Why should I have confidence that I don't have a lemon after the car is returned.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken that service involves removing the heads, all in all a major engine teardown. I'd sure hate to own a plus $70K brand new machine with that amount of repair under the hood. Those engines have been dead reliable over the years until just recently. Have to wonder "what happened?"

belljrsc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had all the lifters replaced in my 2021 Tahoe at 6500 miles about a month ago. 7900 miles on it now and no issues. I had to wait a month and a half for all the parts. Dealer reimbursed me 2 months of car payments....called Chevy customer service they gave me an extended warranty on powertrain to 100,000 miles and gave me 100,000 rewards points to use.

robgreg75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had all the lifters replaced in my 2021 Tahoe at 6500 miles about a month ago. 7900 miles on it now and no issues. I had to wait a month and a half for all the parts. Dealer reimbursed me 2 months of car payments....called Chevy customer service they gave me an extended warranty on powertrain to 100,000 miles and gave me 100,000 rewards points to use.
Were they pretty easy to get the warranty extended? Mine was fixed a while ago but it took like 3 weeks for me.

Parkz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just had half my lifters replaced on 2021 yukon xl denali. Dealer offered an extended warranty... if I wanted to buy it! Have people had better luck getting extended warranty going to gm customer service or to the dealer?

SSGUNNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting, thought if you have the issue per GM warranty gets extended???

Saw an article on GMauthority.com a few months ago.

DaveQ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Interesting topic guys. I just joined this forum because I just recently bought a Tahoe Z71 and I am having issues with the error on my screen “check reverse lights”I have been navigating through and this topic caught my eyes, after reading all this I wanted to share with you guys. I also own a 21 Silverado high country with the 6.2L around 5,500 miles I had the exact same issues as you guys, It took 2 months for the local dealership to get the lifters and they replaced all 16 lifters. It has been about 2,000 miles since and it has been running pretty good but I am scared to dead that it will happen again. I am crossing my fingers that I won’t have the same issue with the Tahoe.

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken that service involves removing the heads, all in all a major engine teardown. I'd sure hate to own a plus $70K brand new machine with that amount of repair under the hood. Those engines have been dead reliable over the years until just recently. Have to wonder "what happened?"
Is there any consensus?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094