Anyone find a way to engage A/C compressor when below 40 outside?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J Mac

Reaction score
If there is one thing that bugs me about my Yukon it's this! Last night had 7 of us in the Yukon while it was snowing. Defrost was on high but all the windows were fogging up. Outside temp showed 35 so of course the compressor won't kick in to help dry the air inside. Had to crack the windows which had the kids complaining...especially at 60mph. I know the reason is to protect the compressor or something like that but it's a PITA!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Below a certain temperature, to A/C compressor with its refrigerant is not effective, so it won't run.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's when you have to go old school and use a rag to wipe the window, but yes the ac should act as a dehumidifier, maybe unplugging the ambient temp sensor would work but it's not really a viable solution since it is behind the grill.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It has been below 30 degrees here for several mornings and when I start the rig and use the defrost it does clear my front window and the compressor is not on. We have a drier climate and the humidity there in VA may still hinder the process, even at 35 degrees. I think......

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
How is blowing up your compressor because you slugged it with liquid refrigerant going to improve your situation?

Secondly, when cool air is heated the relative humidity decreases naturally. That’s why dry indoor air is such a problem in winter.

I suggest checking to be sure your blend doors and particularly the door that switches between recirculating and fresh air is working as it should. Sounds like not enough fresh air intake, especially since opening a window relieves the condition.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Yeah you don't want to do that chief.

That limit is there because of the saturation temp/pressure. Lower than that and the thing is going to lose phase separation between gas and liquid state. Ever seen what happens when you hydrolock an engine? Same gig in your compressor.

Meanwhile I'm wishing I could find a way of turning OFF the compressor when I have defrost on because I like to run defrost out the vents but don't want the compressor running lmao

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yeah you don't want to do that chief.

That limit is there because of the saturation temp/pressure. Lower than that and the thing is going to lose phase separation between gas and liquid state. Ever seen what happens when you hydrolock an engine? Same gig in your compressor.

Meanwhile I'm wishing I could find a way of turning OFF the compressor when I have defrost on because I like to run defrost out the vents but don't want the compressor running lmao
Can't you just unplug the low pressure switch? Or run a toggle switch inside that is inline with the low pressure switch wiring. McGyver it!

OP
OP
J Mac

J Mac

Reaction score
Yeah I don't know enough about the A/C system and definitely don't want to screw it up. This is the 2nd 04 Yukon I've had and they both perform the same. All other vehicles I've had and the 3 others we have now, none GM's, all have the ability to run the a/c with the defrost. In fact, the A/C comes on whenever the defrost is turned on. Even when cold out. So why is the GM system so different? I'm sure a lot has to do with the high humidity we have here. I was just wondering if there was a MaGyver trick that worked and didn't screw up the system. Guess I'll stick with the rags!

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I don't know enough about the A/C system and definitely don't want to screw it up. This is the 2nd 04 Yukon I've had and they both perform the same. All other vehicles I've had and the 3 others we have now, none GM's, all have the ability to run the a/c with the defrost. In fact, the A/C comes on whenever the defrost is turned on. Even when cold out. So why is the GM system so different? I'm sure a lot has to do with the high humidity we have here. I was just wondering if there was a MaGyver trick that worked and didn't screw up the system. Guess I'll stick with the rags!

Maybe one of these will ease the pain, make it a lot easier. I keep one in the storage pocket behind the driver's seat. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65