Anyone else run a Scangauge II and notice....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That the SGII MPG information is not as accurate as the one on the built in DIC?

I got my SGII back in 2011 for my 1999 4runner because I wanted to be able to monitor transmission temperatures (since I was pulling a trailer.) Worked great on the 1999, then my next vehicle was a 2007 4runner. The 2007 had a built in "trip computer" but that thing was worthless. It would tell me that I was getting 25 MPG or that I had 500 miles of range - uh, yeah, no. Useless.

I pretty much expected the same when I got my 'Burb, but then much to my surprise, over the months and the miles, I noticed that even though I reset the SG every time I refueled, it would always either greatly overestimate or (more often) greatly underestimate both my MPG and range.

Then last year my dashboard stepper motors failed and so I got the dash rebuilt by Circuit Board Medics and while they had it I had them add a transmission temp gauge. So now, there's really no reason for me to run the SG since the on-board DIC gives me more accurate MPG and range data, and my dashboard shows me trans temps.

I guess I could use the SG to clear codes but mine hasn't thrown a code since the intake manifold gasket was fixed right after I bought it (fixed by the dealership.)

Last weekend I removed the SG because I needed to clear a code on another car I was selling. I haven't put it back yet and not sure if I will.

Anyway, just wanted to say that I'm impressed with the on-board computer of the Suburban. It's very useful and surprisingly accurate. We go on long road trips and I use the "range" information to plan my gas stops.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076