Another one on the Wireless Charger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UsualSuspect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased the Boost Auto. Both the wife and I use it more than the OEM one in the center console. We also found if you slide the console back, the folks in the rear seat can also use it. The install video is a bit flawed if you have the sliding console, or RES. If you have RES, there are 4 wires on the USB, not 3, but the pins are the correct ones to use. For the console itself, the wire routing shows a route, that if you use it, the rear tray that shows up when you use the lid for an armrest, can't be fit back in there. I just followed the OEM lid wiring path.
20230605144602.png

OP
OP
dancastro

dancastro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try an app like Ampere while it's charging on the wireless. The app will tell you how many amps are currently flowing and which direction (charging or discharging).
I downloaded the app & gonna give it a try.
Anybody know what the correct charge rate should be?

Eusibius2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I downloaded the app & gonna give it a try.
Anybody know what the correct charge rate should be?
It can vary... 1500 milliamps is "ok", 2500 milliamps is closer to today's consideration of Fast Charge. If you're in the mid hundreds, it's slow.

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In a '21 Denali; wireless charging works but the phones overheat and quit charging due to high temp (samsungs). Those same phones are totally happy wirelessly charging on other chargers.

If I disconnect the phones from the truck they don't get near as hot. My guess is that they are doing android auto work which is sucking them dry on battery power.

OP
OP
dancastro

dancastro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to Eusibius2 for recommending the Ampere app!
Downloaded and tested. The best I was getting is a couple hundred mAh, on an intermittent basis constantly going on & off. (Yes w/o the case).
Set up warranty service.

OP
OP
dancastro

dancastro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update.
Just got back from the dealer.
They removed the rubber pad over the charger, cut off the ribs from the bottom. (They said there was too much of a gap), then reinstalled the pad. Phone charged from 86% to 100% in 20 minutes.
Go figure!

iamlegion

Reaction score
Update.
Just got back from the dealer.
They removed the rubber pad over the charger, cut off the ribs from the bottom. (They said there was too much of a gap), then reinstalled the pad. Phone charged from 86% to 100% in 20 minutes.
Go figure!
I know this reply is a bit late, but you can probably still improve your charging, if you want to try this.

First, backing up to explain why the grooves are there that your dealer cut off. GM vent AC air between the rubber phone mat and the wireless charging coil underneath to keep the charging unit and the phone from over-heating. When your dealer shaved those grooves off, they moved the phone closer to the coils which helps with charging but cut off the AC flow.

If you live in a cool climate or don't have much direct sunlight to where your phone sits, this may be irrelevant. If you do however live in a hot/sunny climate, if you pull your rubber charging mat out you can see where your vehicle has slot the AC air comes out. If you are willing, if you just notch that spot in the mat out with an razor blade the AC is more than sufficient to cool your phone off and let it charge at max speed more of the time.

You can even see this if you just pull out the rubber mat entirely and just lay your phone onto the spot where it should charge and leave it there. My phone + charger is 3x cooler to the touch w/o the mat there and charges faster than it ever did with it in place.

OP
OP
dancastro

dancastro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this reply is a bit late, but you can probably still improve your charging, if you want to try this.

First, backing up to explain why the grooves are there that your dealer cut off. GM vent AC air between the rubber phone mat and the wireless charging coil underneath to keep the charging unit and the phone from over-heating. When your dealer shaved those grooves off, they moved the phone closer to the coils which helps with charging but cut off the AC flow.

If you live in a cool climate or don't have much direct sunlight to where your phone sits, this may be irrelevant. If you do however live in a hot/sunny climate, if you pull your rubber charging mat out you can see where your vehicle has slot the AC air comes out. If you are willing, if you just notch that spot in the mat out with an razor blade the AC is more than sufficient to cool your phone off and let it charge at max speed more of the time.

You can even see this if you just pull out the rubber mat entirely and just lay your phone onto the spot where it should charge and leave it there. My phone + charger is 3x cooler to the touch w/o the mat there and charges faster than it ever did with it in place.
Thanks for the info. That explains the cold air flow!! As an update, in the long run the fix did nothing for overall performance.

Thanks for the info. That explains the cold air flow! IN the long run, the dealer mod has no better results. I even took in to the dealer for TSB 22-NA-235

Thanks for the info. That explains the cold air flow! In the long run, the dealer mod to the pad has no positive effect. I even had the dealer apply TSB22-NA-235 which was supposed to address the intermittent charging...no good. I'm giving up and going with the Boost Auto charger UsualSuspect posted above. Too bad GM cant figure this out!

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also the latest 17.3 or 17.4 iOS update for iPhones does include a fix for wireless charging.