New to the house.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BugginOut

Reaction score
Hey all,
Although not my first Tahoe/Yukon, I just bought a white 2003 Tahoe Z71, 181K miles. I've owned a 1999 Tahoe, and a 2005 Denali in the past, but they were my wife's vehicles. I needed a bug out ride to get me camping, fishing and to the range. Was looking for a Suburban for the extra space. Had looked at a couple, but they were trashed and the owners were way too proud. I passed by this ol girl at a dealership on the way home on Monday. Swung around and took a look. Was a little more money than I was looking to spend...but in the end got him to come down a little. Odd buying from a dealership right now with all the covid rules in place. The previous test driver reported that it lost oil pressure, so the guy wouldn't let me test drive it. But I started it to hear how bad it was, and it purred like a kitten...I suspected just a bad sending unit, and with the key on, engine off...had 80psi...so we all know that's the bad sending unit. Also it has the SRS light on, as well as service 4WD. Yea not perfect. So after a lot of haggling, I got him down on the price pretty steep. AND due to the lock downs, he couldn't even give me a temp sticker, so he had to deliver it to my house. lol.
He delivered it the next day, and by the end of the day I had the oil sending unit replaced....oil pressure fixed. I haven't fixed the SRS yet, but it is complaining about drivers side seat. The 4WD error is definitely the switch...have one on the way.
But all in all, the tires are about 85% life.
Paint is about an 8. Got a couple of scratches and stuff...nothing big. Previous owner painted the little corner panels next to the rear hatch window white...and did a bad job. Going to strip that off. ALso some kind of damage on the dash cap, so I ordered some paint to fix that.
Has the Bose, and a HORRIBLE aftermarket single din head unit. But sounds good.
The leather is what blows my mind. I would rate it at about a 7, maybe 8. It has the typical aged look to it, but no rips or tears or worn through spots.
Other than that, the passenger side mirror is cracked and I also ordered a new one of those.
But all in all, it runs and drives smooth as silk! Got some bugs to work out, but hey, crowding 17 years old, I'm happy as pig in slop!
Also ordered the wireless charger mod for the center console. Can't wait for that!
Factory exhaust is garbage....way too quiet. So I will be searching for something with some good growl, but not obnoxious.

Cheers,
Willy

20200419_172602.jpg

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Miami Beach Willy!

Nice Tahoe! You are good to go now for all your camping ,fishing and your ride out to the range.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

It looks like you got yourself a good deal, and will have the opportunity to finish the maintenance items, and then start thinking about mods that make sense to you.

I trust that you will become a participating member on this Forum's discussions. Two-way communication increases our knowledge base.

OP
OP
BugginOut

BugginOut

Reaction score
Yea, seems solid, and I'm definitely good to go. Mods? Oh yes...they are coming. Eventually: Engine refresh, exhaust, Lift, wheels/tires, flares, stereo, inside bug out rack, and paint.

Funny thing is my buddy has a 2005 Silverado with the same 5.3L, and we literally just got done rebuilding it a few weeks ago. I had never messed with this platform before. So that was a learning experience.
I will participate as able. Don't have time to completely hang out on the forums these days. But I will do what I can.
Done a lot of paint and body, custom airbrush work, wrenching, on old school sbc engines...aren't as applicable here. Done some stereo / fiberglass fab before as well.
so feel free to hit me up on any of that if desired.

Otherwise looking forward to the brotherhood.
Cheers,
Willy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Attempt22