another oil filter thread. youtube tests.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel like these guys are doing a pretty good job of testing filters with interesting results.

in the end the run the oil thru the filters with the madia added, and then send the sample off to be tested for how much was left in the oil. the cleaner the oil, the better the filters.

I have had a hard time finding what the actual flow rate in gal. per hour is in a common ls engine, so the back pressure vs flow rate is kinda unless without that number. my thinking is as long as it's below bypass psi, unless you have low oil pressure issues it doesn't really matter?

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not only because I operate a Z71 with enough ground clearance, it's cheap insurance to use a larger PF61 instead of a puny PF48 oil filter.
Also, NEVER use the 'base' / 'economy' / 'basic' / 'budget / 'schidtier' version of ANY oil filter.

Note that Gen4 V8s usually would use PF63.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do think a longer filter is better too, and use them when I have the room. sadly not all my cars allow for a longer filter. so last time I went with amsoil. seem at the end of every oil and filter rabbit hole I go down always ends up at amsoil. and since cheap oil and filters seem to be a thing of the past, eh. why not haha

edit* there's a longer amsoil that fits our trucks too, I don't remember the number thou.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do think a longer filter is better too, and use them when I have the room. sadly not all my CARS allow for a longer filter.
so last time I went with amsoil. seem at the end of every oil and filter rabbit hole I go down always ends up at amsoil.
since cheap oil and filters seem to be a thing of the past, eh. why not?

edit* there's a longer amsoil that fits our trucks too, I don't remember the number thou.
If a longer filter is in danger of getting removed by a schidty road, then use a safer / shorter filter, and change the oil even more often.

Since I can never be sure of whether or not the motor oil I just bought is better or worse than it was six months ago, or whether or not the oil filter is better or worse, there are only three variables I can influence:
Buy 0W30 instead of 5W30 ('cause 5W30 might not be a Group4 synthetic, but 0W30 is always a Group4 synthetic)
Buy the larger oil filter
Change the oil every 3500 miles (too bad I can't compute engine hours or engine revs ...)

OP
OP
J

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If a longer filter is in danger of getting removed by a schidty road, then use a safer / shorter filter, and change the oil even more often.

Since I can never be sure of whether or not the motor oil I just bought is better or worse than it was six months ago, or whether or not the oil filter is better or worse, there are only three variables I can influence:
Buy 0W30 instead of 5W30 ('cause 5W30 might not be a Group4 synthetic, but 0W30 is always a Group4 synthetic)
Buy the larger oil filter
Change the oil every 3500 miles (too bad I can't compute engine hours or engine revs ...)

I cut all my filters open, take out the media, lay it on pig mat over night and inspect. plus a few filters at work on equipment I wanna keep an eye on. the oil hides all kinds of stuff.

honestly unless the motor is pretty hurt, I never find enough stuff in the folds to say even a small filter is clogged up.

we've got some little Toyota diesel engines, run for 500h plus between changes, pulling a load at least 10h a day, and once you get all the oil sucked off them, they don't have a a crazy about of stuff on them to be considered full or clogged. we're talking little 3in Toyota filters like their cars run with pitch black oil.

I feel like running a filter that can filter out the small stuff is more important than anything else. I used to just run wix on everything cause I can get them delivered at our cost but ugh, after reading and watching enough test stuff, my c6 is getting the amsoil filters these days, since that poor engine as been so abused I do get a little metal and crap out of it and the yukon is getting the fram endurance for now since it's local, till I make a next big amsoil order I'll toss in a few for it too.

of course not that any of this is needed, I just feel like throwing a bit of money away haha. I truly believe you can go 300k with just mid range stuff, afm not withstanding of course. bad engineering is just bad engineering haha.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The longer Wix filter I have used for years on all these 5.3 - 6.2 has been
the wix 57045 that I have compared all data against the the OEM wix 57060 ;;;;;; IT's just longer, so more oil
the wix 51522 that I've used for years is for the GM 3.5L V6 in the pont g6's, etc cars
HTH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n