Another new guy but not from Texas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

Jimmy B

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just bought an 08 Tahoe Z71 2WD w/towing package, don't like how the rear sits up by 2". At some point I want to drop the whole package down and find some 20" rims for it, but for now I want to drop the rear 2" to level her out. it rides pretty stiff, which I kinda like, I'm thinking the towing package and or the Z71 has stiffer springs, what would be the options for lowering the rear now for a 2" drop to keep the stiffness. As far as I can tell thru research on the interweb it has all the bells and whistled except for auto ride.

Jimmy

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome and Roll Tide!

Yes, the Z71 package is why it sits so high. Unlike a truck with leaf springs, shackles, hangers, etc., the only way to lower the rear is with coils. I'm sure there are 2" lowering coils, but I don't know how they ride. I'd imagine they'd ride softer, more like a non-Z71. Maybe you could get 3" or 4" drop coils and install spring boosters to pick it up so that you net a 2" drop? I don't mean spacers to pick it up since that wouldn't change the spring rate. I mean the rubber or poly rings that slip in between the coils to space them apart. This would keep the coil from compressing as much so it wouldn't provide so much drop and it'd increase the spring rate. As a bonus, if you ever wanna go lower in the future, you could just remove the boosters and wouldn't have to buy more lowering coils.

Something like this:

71PEA207CHL._SL1500_.jpg

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Miami Beach Jimmy!

OP
OP
J

Jimmy B

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well Texxan, I did live in San Antonio for 3 years, that's gotta count for something.LOL