Another Magnaride question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Starheel

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2018 Suburban Premier 4wd with about 60k miles on it. it rode a little rough on the test drive, but i chalked it up to it being empty, the rough roads and the 22" rims.

Fast forward a couple months and it has gotten worse. bumps and seams in the road are harsh and the dips are bouncy. i can almost feel like i leave my seat sometimes.

I started looking into it and found that the front struts have been replaced with Arnott SK-3354's and the rear look stock. i took it to the dealership and they said the rear shock function properly, but from their report i have a feeling they only tested if the air portion was working. i dont see any leaks. the rear seems stiff and the front seems soft to me.

i figure i have 3 options:
1. replace the rear with new stock for about $850, see if that helps and then replace the front with stock for about $1400. i would have to buy all the parts since i have no stock parts on the front right now (strut, coil, nuts, hat, bumpstop...)

2. replace the whole system, front and back with a passive system like something from magdelete.com. i can get front and rear bilsteins, plug and play for about $1200

3. wait until my turn comes up for the rivian R1S and bite the bullet for that.

Any input on your experiences would be appreciated. i really just want it to be comfortable enough for my kids to sleep on road trips and not feel like they are in the back of a wagon.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2018 Suburban Premier 4wd with about 60k miles on it. it rode a little rough on the test drive, but i chalked it up to it being empty, the rough roads and the 22" rims.

Fast forward a couple months and it has gotten worse. bumps and seams in the road are harsh and the dips are bouncy. i can almost feel like i leave my seat sometimes.

I started looking into it and found that the front struts have been replaced with Arnott SK-3354's and the rear look stock. i took it to the dealership and they said the rear shock function properly, but from their report i have a feeling they only tested if the air portion was working. i dont see any leaks. the rear seems stiff and the front seems soft to me.

1. replace the rear with new stock for about $850, see if that helps and then replace the front with stock for about $1400. i would have to buy all the parts since i have no stock parts on the front right now (strut, coil, nuts, hat, bumpstop...)

2. replace the whole system, front and back with a passive system like something from magdelete.com. i can get front and rear bilsteins, plug and play for about $1200

Any input on your experiences would be appreciated. i really just want it to be comfortable enough for my kids to sleep on road trips and not feel like they are in the back of a wagon.
Do away with that junk system altogether and just get you some nice coil overs. You can get a set of KING coil overs for the price you said you could pay for the stock struts. And it will handle and preform wayyyy better. Fox and icon are also good options but kings are supposed to be the best of the best.

I’ve got icon coil overs uniball control arms and around a 8” lift on 24x14 wheels and 35/15.50 tires and it rides like a dream! The coil overs will lift the front a couple inches but is adjustable to your taste.
It’s a fairly simple swap as well for the normal diy guy

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Did the dealership offer to calibrate the shocks for you? The magneride gets out of calibration once in a while and needs to be reset. If they won't do it, buy the MDI or equivalent adapter with GDS software or TDS subscription and do it yourself.

OP
OP
S

Starheel

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
no. i read about that possibility after that dealer visit. i will have to see when they can get me back in or find a local shop that might have that tool.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

OP
OP
S

Starheel

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome from NC. DCFBCA7D-4EA4-4AA1-AF7B-C0ACFBB8A4D8.jpeg

Attachments

• B89F603A-103A-4560-8BCB-6E4F5FD911A9.jpeg
    B89F603A-103A-4560-8BCB-6E4F5FD911A9.jpeg
    407.9 KB · Views: 2

mb1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Open the back door and bounce up and down on the side step, look at the rear wheel gap. When magneride fail they lock up and you’ll be able to tell when doing this.

OP
OP
S

Starheel

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do away with that junk system altogether and just get you some nice coil overs. You can get a set of KING coil overs for the price you said you could pay for the stock struts. And it will handle and preform wayyyy better. Fox and icon are also good options but kings are supposed to be the best of the best.

I’ve got icon coil overs uniball control arms and around a 8” lift on 24x14 wheels and 35/15.50 tires and it rides like a dream! The coil overs will lift the front a couple inches but is adjustable to your taste.
It’s a fairly simple swap as well for the normal diy guy
Are these essentially what you are suggesting? i can t find any kings anywhere

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Are these essentially what you are suggesting? i can t find any kings anywhere
Yea that’s them.
These are the kings

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member