Amatuer in desperate need of some help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lilsolo68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok guys im ready to call it quits but first id like to ask yall for some help. ive been having alot of problems starting with my brutus 2000d amp. after installing a 250a anl fuse i fried the amp (heres the link to that Is this amp okay? lil smoke and protect - Car Audio Classifieds), then just to see if i could get any sound at all i connected the subs to a new zxi 6408 4channel and all it did was go into protect mode so im thinking wtf. i check my wiring and didnt see anything wrong but for good measures i pulled the HU and ran another remote wire and another set of rcas straight from the HU over the seat to the amp and still got the red light. still not knowing wtf was wrong i decided to take my new 4 channel back to the store to exchange it. the store gave me a new 2010 zxi 80.4 and when i hooked it up everything worked fine it just wasnt loud enough. so after a day of playing the subs on the first 2 channels (bridged @ 4ohms) i got concerned because the amp felt really warm. i then switched the wires to the 3rd & 4th channel (bridged @ 4ohms) and for some reason the amount of bass was lessened. the next day i came out to switch the wires back to the first 2 channels and i got nothing. im not sure if there was no output or what because the subs kinda pulsate like every 5 seconds lasting just long enough for me to notice with the volume on low, even if i unplug the rcas it still does it. i pulled the subs today to make sure all the wiring was correct according to the12volt.com wiring diagram. i checked and triple checked the settings on the amp and the HU but still come up with didly squat. can anybody help me out? is my brand new $500 HU the problem or is there a simple solution to this ongoing headache?.....sorry for the long story.

BTW i unhooked the HU and amp for now hoping something would reset and everything would work(hopeful wishing)

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cant help you to much, learning stereo stuff myself. But if you think its your head unit, try to change it out to another one and see if it still does the same thing. But im puzzled on your situation also. Thats all i can think of. Since you have triple checked all the wires. Which is what i usually do wrong.

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anytime you "let the smoke out" of something, that means you fried it! You should really have someone knowledgeable helping you with this, especially if you have the Bose setup! I don't even know where to begin helpin' you after reading your post and not being able to look for myself. The best I can tell you right now is start checking everything with a DMM andn go from there.

...and BTW, a 250 amp fuse is wayyyyy too much for an 80x4 amp. It's not going to protect anything! Match your fuse to your current draw before you do anything else.

fatnlowtahoe504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
might not have a good ground or the ground on the amp or the power wire could be touching something else besides where it needs to be, just throwing that out there but id have to retrace the whole system to really help you out...

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it doesn't help now, but always look for advice before you try to do something on your own. It's really hard to help someone fix a mistake like this over the internet (the possibilities are infinite), but it's easy to find a good DIY thread before hand and refference it as you go along.

I know that's the last thing you need to hear right now. I'm just putting it out there for future refference............and actually, that's not a bad idea now! Find a DIY thread that matches what you were trying to do in the first place and see if you notice anything helpful that you may have missed in the initial install!

OP
OP
lilsolo68

lilsolo68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cant help you to much, learning stereo stuff myself. But if you think its your head unit, try to change it out to another one and see if it still does the same thing. But im puzzled on your situation also. Thats all i can think of. Since you have triple checked all the wires. Which is what i usually do wrong.

dont really have access to another HU.

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 AM ----------

Anytime you "let the smoke out" of something, that means you fried it! You should really have someone knowledgeable helping you with this, especially if you have the Bose setup! I don't even know where to begin helpin' you after reading your post and not being able to look for myself. The best I can tell you right now is start checking everything with a DMM andn go from there.

...and BTW, a 250 amp fuse is wayyyyy too much for an 80x4 amp. It's not going to protect anything! Match your fuse to your current draw before you do anything else.

the 250 amp fuse was used when i smoked out my 2000d hifonics amp, the other amp was running off a 60amp fused power wire.

---------- Post added at 12:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 PM ----------

might not have a good ground or the ground on the amp or the power wire could be touching something else besides where it needs to be, just throwing that out there but id have to retrace the whole system to really help you out...

i think the problem was in the ohm load i had wired the subs to. i wired them according to a wiring diagram but didnt have multimeter to check the ohm load. now i have a used multimeter and after rewiring the subs im still not coming up with the exact ohm load i need to play from this amp. i think im just gonna have to wait til DB-R electronics finish fixing my other amp and test with it. thanks anyway guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zrjo

Latest posts