Alternator questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueTahoe2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My alternator is starting to go bad and won't charge my battery so it's time to search for a new one. Whats the best replacement? Should I go with a high-output? The only audio equipment I have is a amp to drive my door speakers.

Also, where can I find if my current truck has the 105 or 130 amp alternator?

Thanks

Cobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can always get the ** alt from a Denali, my stock Denali came with a 160a alt.

Wish I knew that.

I just replaced mine. The stock delphi alternator is stamped with amps on the housing. It can be really hard to see. You might need to take a flashlight and angle it around to see it. My 04 Tahoe was 145A stock and that's what I bought. I also have one amp powering door speakers and one subs with Optima battery.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, only pickups came with 105amp alternators. If you have power windows, locks, and Rear AC, then you have at the very least a 130amp. Some 03-04s came with 145amp. Then in 05, they ALL had at least 145amp. But the plugs changed in 05 too. So you cannot plug a 05 alternator up to a 00-04 unless you modify your harness with a new style square plug.

PwtrSS_OakCliff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take it off and take it to your local auto parts store. They will tell you because they have a different bolt pattern. One has I think a 12'o clock and the other a 9'o clock.. more than likely its going to be the higher amp. I replaced mine last week. Autozone has Delphi and I paid $13x.xx

OP
OP
BlueTahoe2001

BlueTahoe2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. After doing some more digging it wasn't my alternator but my starter that was going bad. I replaced my starter and ended up just buying a new 130 amp alt why I was at it.

3BigDogs

Reaction score
Wish I knew that.

I just replaced mine. The stock delphi alternator is stamped with amps on the housing. It can be really hard to see. You might need to take a flashlight and angle it around to see it. My 04 Tahoe was 145A stock and that's what I bought. I also have one amp powering door speakers and one subs with Optima battery.
That's what I got for my 00 Tahoe and it's just fine

Ronald Ziehm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
in my 2004 Yukon XL with the 5.3 Vortec Flex Fuel, I'm running two 1400 watt pioneer 12's and 2 1000 watt Pioneer 10's, feeding them with a 2400 watt D Class Mono-block Kicker Amplifier. I intend to upgrade all of my door speakers as well as the little Baby tweets in the pillars, whick I will also amplify from an 1800 watt D class Mono-block Amp. I have the $1000 Pioneer DMH-WT7600NEX Head unit (whick plays video without a bypass switch hallelujah!!!) I'm going to eliminate the 10's and replace them with a pair of Solo-Beric 15's, but it already draws on my lights when the bass hits at all. I'm going to have to upgrade my alternator to a performance/high output model, but I'm going to go with either the 280 amp or the 300 amp, and add a capacitor and possibly 2 extra full size batteries.

I buy so much stuff (all brand new sealed in the original box) from people, for the purposes of re-selling it for half price of retail, that I have managed to accumulate a mid sized storage unit about 3/4 full of all new name brands like Pioneer, Kicker, Alpine, Sony (not xplode, boo xplode, boo I say, and others). I change up my set-up at least once sometimes two or three times a month. And I know it's time to upgrade my alternator, so I can feed the baby, that way she'll grow up big and strong and hit like so e Jackhammers in a Ford Festiva!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157

Latest posts