Almost lost the Tahoe today...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ya the defund stuff is pretty funny they did a defund of the Los Angeles police department of 1 million dollars, funking laughed my ass off, the LA. p.d annual budget is guess how much??? come on think of a number, is it millions? nope, guess again 3 BILLION haha, they did it just to placate the whiners. hahaaaa a million isn't even a pin *****.
What most people don’t understand is what is meant by defunding is to take a small portion of the police budget and spend that money on an alternative like a dedicated non-police department that responds to certain situations that don’t necessarily need a police presence, like a homeless person that’s pooping on the sidewalk or other similar programs. But by small I think the lapd outdid themselves. That’s just pocket padding for some dude in the force with connections. He’s probably enlarging his swimming pool with that.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What most people don’t understand is what is meant by defunding is to take a small portion of the police budget and spend that money on an alternative like a dedicated non-police department that responds to certain situations that don’t necessarily need a police presence, like a homeless person that’s pooping on the sidewalk or other similar programs. But by small I think the lapd outdid themselves. That’s just pocket padding for some dude in the force with connections. He’s probably enlarging his swimming pool with that.
lol, yep

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the defense lawyers would eat you alive. Insufficient warning, reckless endangerment, etc. They'd own your Tahoe, you, and everything you owned to that point. Y'all have heard the story of the burglar that fell through a sj=kylight and successfully sued the homeowners for his injuries, right?

i remember that & it was such BS

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm an electrical engineer, and I was talking with another EE friend of mine today about it. So we spent some time cooking up ways to electrify the door handles. I also have an electrophysiology background, so we were thinking hit them hard enough at the right frequency so that their arm muscles would lock and they wouldn't be able to let go, and keep it going as long as the battery held out. Then they would still be there getting jolted when you came out to the car and you could just turn them over to the police. Case closed. :)

LOL

def. dont do it... lawyers will bend you over w/ rusty cactus & sandpaper.

bill1013

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't count on the police. I had my 74 Opel GT 1900 broken into and they got the stereo. Then vandalized the interior pretty bad. I guess they were expecting more and were frustrated there just wasn't anything else. I got it so my wife & I had something to drive while I rebuilt her 74 Super Beetle Convertible. Anyway, I only had No-Fault on it. The cops finally show up and take the report, but the cop says they know who is doing all the break-ins in the area. I say, "Great! Let's go get my stuff back!" He calmly says, "I'm just here to file a report so you will have something to give to your insurance agent". I tell him, "I just have No-Fault" He looks at me and slams his book shut and tells me, "WHY ARE YOU WASTING MY TIME THEN!" and storms off.

Needless to say the little bastards stole everything from every vehicle within a few miles, then started breaking into homes. They made a bad choice when they picked my elderly neighbor's house. The neighborhood was awakened by screaming and yelling. It sounded like someone was getting murdered! The little punks couldn't get the chain lock off the door, so my neighbor started hitting the bastard's hand with an old cast iron skillet. She got several good whacks in, but the bastard wouldn't stop. So she went to her Butcher Block, where she keeps all her knives, picks out a big, sharp one and stabs the bastards hand and pins it to the wall. Blood is all over the place, but he hears the sirens coming and pulls his hand away from the knife, slicing his hand in half. It was great! We chased him down, which was easy due to all the blood loss. The cops call an ambulance and they take him away. The cops start mentioning possible charges against my neighbor and we all go absolutely bonkers on them. In short, we just reminded them that if they had been doing their job, and picked these bastards up months ago, we wouldn't be going through this right now...WOULD WE!

The cops left and we all ended up doing shots until the sun came up. Then we barbecued some pig and drank beers for the rest of the day. Hope your ordeal has a happy, and not as twisted, ending as mine.

P.S. My elderly neighbor was quite the drinker. She must have had a hollow leg!

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Don't count on the police. I had my 74 Opel GT 1900 broken into and they got the stereo. Then vandalized the interior pretty bad. I guess they were expecting more and were frustrated there just wasn't anything else. I got it so my wife & I had something to drive while I rebuilt here 74 Super Beetle Convertible. Anyway, I only had No-Fault on it. The cops finally show up and take the report, but the cop says they know who is doing all the break-ins in the area. I say, "Great! Let's go get my stuff back!" He calmly says, "I'm just here to file a report so you will have something to give to your insurance agent". I tell him, "I just have No-Fault" He looks at me and slams his book shut and tells me, "WHY ARE YOU WASTING MY TIME THEN!" and storms off.

Needless to say the little bastards stole everything from every vehicle within a few miles, then started breaking into homes. They made a bad choice when they picked my elderly neighbor's house. The neighborhood was awakened by screaming and yelling. It sounded like someone was getting murdered! The little punks couldn't get the chain lock off the door, so my neighbor started hitting the bastard's hand with an old cast iron skillet. She got several good whacks in, but the bastard wouldn't stop. So she went to her Butcher Block, where she keeps all her knives, picks out a big, sharp one and stabs the bastards hand and pins it to the wall. Blood is all over the place, but he hears the sirens coming and pulls his hand away from the knife, slicing his hand in half. It was great! We chased him down, which was easy due to all the blood loss. The cops call an ambulance and they take him away. The cops start mentioning possible charges against my neighbor and we all go absolutely bonkers on them. In short, we just reminded them that if they had been doing their job, and picked these bastards up months ago, we wouldn't be going through this right now...WOULD WE!

The cops left and we all ended up doing shots until the sun came up. Then we barbecued some pig and drank beers for the rest of the day. Hope your ordeal has a happy, and not as twisted, ending as mine.

P.S. My elderly neighbor was quite the drinker. She must have had a hollow leg!
Cops should've gave her an award for doing that! I hate thieves. If they get hurt or maimed during the comission of a crime--TOO BAD!!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I was checking general because my trucks were broken into, and an attempt to steal them was made -- FROM MY OWN DRIVEWAY. They were about 50 feet from street lights, too. But my trucks aren't Tahoes/Yukons/Escalades/etc. One was a Sierra Denali, and the other is a Silverado. And they effing punched out BOTH door locks -- in addition to destroying the ignition cylinders and the columns. The Sierra had to be towed because the key wouldn't turn and you couldn't get the shifter out of park. The Silverado is driveable, but unsecurable. And you'll love this one: Sometime between when the Sierra was picked up and when it was dropped off at the repair shop, the rod that controls door latching/unlatching came loose in the driver's door. So now they can't get the door open at the repair shop.

I was hoping for advice here on what to do to do to better secure my vehicles, since they are so similar to the other GMT800 trucks. I've had advice to add alarms (Clifford/Viper), GPS trackers, kill switches (Ravelco), etc. And I am going to add cameras and lights to my home. But it never hurts to see if anyone else is smarter/more experienced than me...

I did decide NOT to add the security plates to the lock cylinders, though. When they knocked in my locks, they did not damage the doors. If I plate the locks and someone wants to break in anyway, they will just damage the doors. I figure lock cylinders are a lower price to pay then body work.

Please excuse my wall of text.
I don't know but I got tired of mine getting broke into so
I had the viper 2-way alarm installed
then I added the 4g interface that also has a real gps antenna
glass break sensor
tilt sensor
hood pin
a scanning led inside on the center console
a high decibel interior alarm speaker

there is really no way around it they would have to be a super ninja
if the alarm is triggered, it sounds the horn, alarm speaker, interior speaker, text's me, email's me, the viper phone app sounds a alarm on my phone, my phone vibrates, the key fob (good for up to a mile range) sounds a alarm and vibrates.

it appears that just having the scanning led's inside indicating the vehicle is alarmed is deterrent enough because it hasn't been broken into since

if I was car jacked and I didn't managed to kill them first I can track it online until they find the modules and yank it out or disconnect the battery.

to get around most basic alarms they like to break a rear window and climb inside, get what they came for and climb back out the rear window never triggering the alarm. hence the reason for adding the glass sensor.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

LOL

def. dont do it... lawyers will bend you over w/ rusty cactus & sandpaper.

If I remember correctly that Magna Volt speaker is the same guy that was the horse's ass in Animal House. I think his name was Niedermeyer but not 100% for sure.

Yea, I think this is it:

Anyway, thieves suck and need hands chopped off. I would love to help do that.

I used to run an auto repair shop in the downtown KC, Mo. area years ago in the early 80's. We parked vehicles in back one level down. Came out one day and my driver's window was busted out and my stereo system was gone. I got so pissed I punch a hole in my truck grill. Didn't do me any good though, hole in grill and broke my hand.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
If I remember correctly that Magna Volt speaker is the same guy that was the horse's ass in Animal House. I think his name was Niedermeyer but not 100% for sure.

Yea, I think this is it:

Anyway, thieves suck and need hands chopped off. I would love to help do that.

I used to run an auto repair shop in the downtown KC, Mo. area years ago in the early 80's. We parked vehicles in back one level down. Came out one day and my driver's window was busted out and my stereo system was gone. I got so pissed I punch a hole in my truck grill. Didn't do me any good though, hole in grill and broke my hand.
I had my car broken into twice years ago and both times they stole my radio. When I got in the car I had to do a triple take because I couldn't believe that it was missing.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got so pissed I punch a hole in my truck grill. Didn't do me any good though, hole in grill and broke my hand.

Note for your reference: Punch hole in thief and/or break thief's hand. Do not harm yourself or your property. Just sayin'

I had someone break into my Mitsubishi truck in the early '90s. Busted out the door lock with a screw driver. He just stole my stuff -- didn't try to steal the car. Pasadena PD saw a bum walking through a part with a laptop and a leather jacket. They arrested him and found me because the computer bag had magazines with my name and address on them. He went to jail.

His attorney, apparently, tried to play tricks with the system, to keep him out of jail. Except I kept taking the day off, and showing up at the courthouse.

For those of you with nice security systems for your rigs, may I ask what you chose, what your cost was, and if it included installation? I am not as mechanically inclined as some of you. :(