Almost lost the Tahoe today...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buying a security system may need to be installed by a pro and not yourself. Trying to save yourself money can cost you more money.
I'm not sure what you are trying to address with your response. Incase it is me, please let me clarify: I will not be installing a security system myself. I was asking for recommendations from members as to what they chose, how much it cost, and if that included installation or not. You did remind me that I need to ask why they chose what they chose, and if turned out to be as good as they thought (or not)...

Please accept my apologies if I were previously unclear.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you are trying to address with your response. Incase it is me, please let me clarify: I will not be installing a security system myself. I was asking for recommendations from members as to what they chose, how much it cost, and if that included installation or not. You did remind me that I need to ask why they chose what they chose, and if turned out to be as good as they thought (or not)...

It was a "just in case you decided to install yourself, to save money".

I will be more clear in the future.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I went with the directed viper, directed bought out the big brand names years ago, clifford, avital, viper, etc and they market them under the various brand names, but under the cover's they all operate basically the same and various add-on modules will work with them all since they share the same "brain" called a d-ball interface.
you can save a little bit by purchasing the system and modules online and then just have a authorized dealer install it. all directed systems come with a lifetime warranty as long as it was installed by a authorized dealer.
all that being said I paid around $1000.00 installed, the (optional) 4g & gps service has a annual subscription which is approx $100. you can save $20-30 by purchasing a 3yr subscription.

so the question is after that: is it worth it? for me yes, every dam time they broke into my truck they ****** shit up so bad I had to take it to the dealer, on top of that most insurance company's will not cover aftermarket radio's or other stereo equipment, and unless you have receipts for anything else they may have took then you are simply ass-out.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so the question is after that: is it worth it? for me yes, every dam time they broke into my truck they ****** shit up so bad I had to take it to the dealer, on top of that most insurance company's will not cover aftermarket radio's or other stereo equipment, and unless you have receipts for anything else they may have took then you are simply ass-out.

Thanks for the detailed information. In terms of the "is it worth it", it was more along the lines of "did it work as you had anticipated?" I agree with everything you said, and really appreciate your response!

OP
OP
DougAMiller

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the defense lawyers would eat you alive. Insufficient warning, reckless endangerment, etc. They'd own your Tahoe, you, and everything you owned to that point. Y'all have heard the story of the burglar that fell through a sj=kylight and successfully sued the homeowners for his injuries, right?
Yeah, it's an F'd up system we live in today.

OP
OP
DougAMiller

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, an update. After 2-3 hours working on the ignition cylinder, I finally got it sort of functional, enough I could drive it the shop I usually use for bodywork. Although, I was really wondering if they were right for this job (they aren't). The freaking dash looked like a Christmas tree with all the warning lights and messages. ABS, TCS, Stability, 4WD, HVAC not working, in D it would only use 3rd gear. using the gear selector I could get 2nd, no 1st or 4th at all. I've got an appointment to drop it off with the dealer in the morning, since they're probably the best option to fix all of this. Hopefully, this is all resets and calibrations with their computer, but maybe the morons fried some modules trying to get past the PassLock.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know but I got tired of mine getting broke into so
I had the viper 2-way alarm installed
then I added the 4g interface that also has a real gps antenna
glass break sensor
tilt sensor
hood pin
a scanning led inside on the center console
a high decibel interior alarm speaker

there is really no way around it they would have to be a super ninja
if the alarm is triggered, it sounds the horn, alarm speaker, interior speaker, text's me, email's me, the viper phone app sounds a alarm on my phone, my phone vibrates, the key fob (good for up to a mile range) sounds a alarm and vibrates.

it appears that just having the scanning led's inside indicating the vehicle is alarmed is deterrent enough because it hasn't been broken into since

if I was car jacked and I didn't managed to kill them first I can track it online until they find the modules and yank it out or disconnect the battery.

to get around most basic alarms they like to break a rear window and climb inside, get what they came for and climb back out the rear window never triggering the alarm. hence the reason for adding the glass sensor.
Hope you don’t get any false alarms! Sheesh.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hope you don’t get any false alarms! Sheesh.
I was at first with the Silverado when it was installed the tilt sensor had come loose and was sitting crooked so it would go off randomly, had some minor issues with the yukon at first also, I think that had to do with the tilt sensor also. The tilt sensor is designed to be installed horizontal with the vehicle when it is installed vertical it doesn't work right.
there is a optional motion sensor you can get also, that one is a pia I put one in the 03 Silverado and anytime the kids walked by the truck it would go off hard to get it set properly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drew23