Almost lost the Tahoe today...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somebody broke into the parking garage at work today and punched the lock out on the driver's door, ripped the column cover off and tried to force the ignition lock. They only managed to mangle it beyond all recognition and rendered it completely inoperable. Then they stole everything they could find inside and tore up a few more things. Spent 4 hours standing around waiting for the police and a tow truck, but finally got it home. Don't know yet what the extent of the damage is going to be.
What are you doing to replace the column covers? I have just learned that -- for my Sierra -- they are a discontinued part.

Thanks!

OP
OP
DougAMiller

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are you doing to replace the column covers? I have just learned that -- for my Sierra -- they are a discontinued part.

Thanks!
I am worried about that. I had converted my Tahoe to a console shifter using parts from a Trailblazer, and had bought a column cover for a manual transmission Silverado to eliminate the shifter opening. So, replacement parts may be even more difficult to find as I imagine the majority of GMT800's have automatics. I still have the original cover, so I guess I could figure out something to block the opening and put it back on.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am worried about that. I had converted my Tahoe to a console shifter using parts from a Trailblazer, and had bought a column cover for a manual transmission Silverado to eliminate the shifter opening. So, replacement parts may be even more difficult to find as I imagine the majority of GMT800's have automatics. I still have the original cover, so I guess I could figure out something to block the opening and put it back on.
The reason I asked is because the column cover is no longer available new (no surprise there), so I am trying to source a decent one so we don't have to reuse the old ones. I *really* don't want a constant reminder of the breakin. :(

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
The reason I asked is because the column cover is no longer available new (no surprise there), so I am trying to source a decent one so we don't have to reuse the old ones. I *really* don't want a constant reminder of the breakin. :(
Junkyard?

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Yeah, that's route we will have to take if we do not reuse the old stuff. I did find that the black ones were available, but they would have to be painted, and insurance won't cover that. :mad:
You can paint it yourself. No biggie. Some SEM paint.

OP
OP
DougAMiller

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's route we will have to take if we do not reuse the old stuff. I did find that the black ones were available, but they would have to be painted, and insurance won't cover that. :mad:
Yeah, talked to the dealer today and he said he was able to get all the parts, although he had to get them from a lot of different sources, so the black one (my color) is still available.

Good news is insurance has approved it so they can start working on it tomorrow. Bad news is the stuff insurance won't cover. Contents are "covered", yeah right! Contents are not covered under auto policy but under home owner's policy which has a 1% deductible. Not 1% of the stolen value, 1% of the coverage, so several thousands of dollars. So unless you're keeping gold bars in the vehicle, your contents are really not covered. :favorites68:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Good news is insurance has approved it so they can start working on it tomorrow. Bad news is the stuff insurance won't cover. Contents are "covered", yeah right! Contents are not covered under auto policy but under home owner's policy which has a 1% deductible. Not 1% of the stolen value, 1% of the coverage, so several thousands of dollars. So unless you're keeping gold bars in the vehicle, your contents are really not covered. :favorites68:
Unbelievable, but believable! No problem taking your money, until you need THEM to pay up. Then the story changes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GCL24

Latest posts